What is Pipe Damage?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mikejungle

What is Pipe Damage?

Post by mikejungle »

Hi ya'll.

So I just started smoking a new pipe that my friend got for me from Holland (it's an Angelo?). And I was wondering what exactly is meant by "damage" caused to the briar by smoking too fast.

There were several imperfections and asymmetries in the pipe, so I spent considerable time reshaping it and then learning how to stain properly. The bowl came pre-carbonized, but I sanded most of it out...just because.

Anyway, I started to smoke it w/ no coating and I noticed that the bowl got quite hot to the touch. I had read to pack it only halfway for the first few smokes and then alternate thereafter, but I sorta glazed over the part where it said smoke the pipe slowly...

So judging by the heat i felt from the bowl, I think I smoked my pipe too fast.

Question is...is my pipe probably damaged?
And if it is damaged, what should I be noticing? Is it reparable?

It only got hot 2...maybe 3 times. And I've smoked it about 7-8 times now.

Thanks for your help.
FredS

Re: What is Pipe Damage?

Post by FredS »

mikejungle wrote:. . . I spent considerable time reshaping it and then learning how to stain properly. . .
How thin are the walls of the bowls now? If you puff like a train, you can make pretty much any pipe get hot, but of course the thinner the bowl wall, the more prone the pipe is to getting "hot".
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
mikejungle

Re: What is Pipe Damage?

Post by mikejungle »

It's a bent apple pipe and so it's thinnest at the top, where the walls are 1/4 an inch. I don't think that's too thin.
I also measured the thickness of the bottom of the bowl and it's about 1/2 an inch.

So yeah...I was probably smoking like a train.

So...damage? What should I look for and observe?
The inside of the bowl looks nice and black...hopefully from carbonizing and not burning?
I don't really know what to look for in taste. I don't THINK it tastes sour, but what would I know? I'm a newb.