"Tug" and "Lifeform" pipes by Mike Messer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Mike Messer

"Tug" and "Lifeform" pipes by Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Request For Comments, Critique, Buyers, Donations, What-Have-You. If You Like, or Don't Like.
M.M.

1. "Lifeform" - Jaume Home Extra-Extra Plateau Briar, Marco Janzen Boxtree wood extension, SEM ebonite handmade Tip, conical tobacco chamber, and a 1/4" dia. Peterson style condensation chamber in the shank.

Length: 5-3/4 in. - 146 mm
Height: 2-3/8 in. - 60 mm
Bowl Width: 1-3/4 in. - 45 mm
Chamber Ø 3/4 in. - 19 mm
...... Depth: 1-11/16 in. - 44 mm
Weight: 2.17 oz. - 60.8 grams

2. "Tug" - (PME) Yazid Algerian Crosscut Briar, Marco Janzen Black Acrylic handmade Tip, conical chamber.

Length: 4-5/16 in. - 110 mm
Height: 2-1/32 in. - 52 mm
Bowl Width: 1-1/2 in. - 38 mm
Chamber: .. Ø: 3/4 in. 19 mm
.. Depth: 1-3/4 in - 44 mm
Weight: 2.03 oz. - 56.8 grams

Dixie_piper

Re: "Tug" and "Lifeform" pipes by Mike Messer

Post by Dixie_piper »

Nice pipes. The bit on the second looks a bit thin in my opinion. Nice finish!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Thanks, Dixie_piper. Yea, I think most people like a more distinct bit, and mine tend to run a bit low profile. The way the stem is shaped on "Tug," it would almost have to be used by someone like me, who only holds the pipe with his hand, and never with his teeth.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like the first pipe a lot more than the second, both in terms of design, but more especially in terms of exectution. The lines are more defined the design is pretty harmonious overall. What I can't get away from is the thought that the chamber looks a small for the pipe, the shank is heavy, the bowl large, the bit quite wide, and this little pinchy looking chamber that just doesn't quite look balanced to me. Kind of a token complaint perhaps. I think it's a nice pipe - too bad the briar didn't hold up its end of the deal, which happens sometimes.

The second pipe is not well enough sanded on the rim, which accounts for the darkn ring on the front half of the rim, visible in all pictures. The edges of the rim are over buffed and need a little touch up staining, and it looks in the pics anyhow that the bevelled part inside the chamber didn't shine up - I see no grain anywhere in there. The rest of the pipe looks well and evenly finished, so I wonder if you aren't buffing just a bit too much, making up as it were for sanding time back at 220 or so.

The stem/shank junction could and should be utterly perfect on a barrel like this - if the design is spartan then the technical execution has to be perfect or it just looks amateur. Same on the transition between the shank and the bowl - one side is better than the other, the left side appears to have a bit of a divot, visible in the left profile and echoed in the pic of the bottom, where the lines of light abruptly stop. In a sense a "simple" shape like this shows off flaws in a more dramatic way than a more freehand piece.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm with Sas. I like the first one best. The second is nice but a bit on the plain Jane side. You did a nice job executing both though. The photography is very nice also.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Oh, and I'm not a big fan of these:
Mike Messer wrote:Peterson style condensation chamber in the shank
It's the one thing I really dislike about my 999's and 80s'.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Thanks Sasquatch, I was hoping you would give me the benefit of your refined insight. Very helpful. I mean Very helpful.
Thanks again,
M.M.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Thanks, also wdtiepen.
I have a condensation chamber in another pipe I made for myself, different in design but the same principle, and other than having to clean it, I like it and the way it drys-up the smoke. I've never had a drop of water make it to the bit.
So, I was wondering, what is it about the condensation chambers that you don't like.
M.M.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If I can jump in with 2 bits on "system" pipes, collected ideas from various sources, the downside of them (if this is right) is that in intentionally knocking some water vapor out of the smoke you are also knocking whatever flavors/oils carried in that water out of the smoke. Fuller flavor when absolutely everything from the bowl gets out the button. I think it was Pease who elaborated on this idea.

The other downside of system pipes (done poorly) is that they do in fact gurgle if you can't get moisture away from the tenon end. I've had some system pipes that were just... pieces of shit, really. And I've got one that is absolutely a doll, and it's got a much more refined tenon shape than the run-of-the mill ones. Never gurgles.

What you'll find is that a lot of pipe Guru types, like Greg Pease, are convinced that there is a "best" geometry for any given pipe, and that never includes a trap for most of these cats. I'll take a less than perfectly built pipe with a wicked piece of briar over a perfectly executed pipe with bad briar.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Thanks again. You should write a book. Something like "The Aesthetics And Technology Of Modern Tobacco Pipes" But, on the otherhand, considering what I believe to be the depth of your knowledge on the subject, it might have to be an encyclopedia. Too much work. Forget it.

I kind-of suspected the loss of flavor might be an objection. I just threw in the condensation chamber in this pipe as an afterthought, because the curved shank left a lot of space in the bottom of the shank for it, and I thought it might appeal to someone, but considering the objections, I'm pretty sure I won't do that again.

I suppose the Guru's would put a price on my head if I mentioned filter pipes.

I see the objection, now, especially from the state-of-the-art, pipe Guru's perspective, and after all, that's the objective.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm not one to critique anyone's pipes and would be super pumped to produced either of these, so take my words with a grain of salt...probably better off not taking them at all, :wink: The first pipe looks extremely well executed. However, the only thing I would change is to put just a tad bit more bend on the stem. That's just a personal preference, of course. Either way, it's a very elegant looking pipe. Well done.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

I really like the Tug pipe here. I think it has really good lines and proportions and elegant looking stem work. The first one, as well executed as it is, is just not my cup of tea. The tug combines classic shaping with nice modern proportions. I don't think it's plain at all and of the two, well, I would probably want both (haha) but I would definitely buy the Tug as I could see myself smoking it more than the first. It's elegant enough to be a prize pipe (to be smoked inside) but it also looks like it would feel good in the hands, so, I would probably take it with me wherever I go.

I love the combo of a chimney with a nosewarmer length. Beautiful work on both pipes. How long have you been making pipes and do you sell your pipes, or is it strictly a hobby?
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Thanks, so much JMG and Sorringowl.

JMG, on paper the stem on "Lifeform" did bend more, but after I made it, it just came out less, and I decided to leave it?

Sorringowl, I too, would be more likely to smoke "Tug," I think. I just started offering pipes for sale on my new website, below.

...and, Thank You, both, for your views.

M.M.

edit Fri. 11-26-10...
I wanted to reply to Sasquatch's detailed critique of the pipes, and please understand, this is in no way hostile. I have a great deal of respect for Sasquatch and his critique of pipes.

About the first pipe, "Lifeform," I don't know what to say about the pinched chamber look, except, that's what you tend to get on an egg or a tulip.

Okay, on the second pipe, "Tug," the dark area on the rim, is an illusion, a light photographic effect. Notice it moves, counter-clockwise between the first and the third image. Likewise, the edges of the rim, the bevel, and the divot comments, all photographic illusions. Maybe, I need to work on my photography a bit.
But the stem/shank junction, slight rounding of the wood is real. I'll have to work on that. I don't suppose this matters, but I wonder, if the wood makes a razor sharp 90 degree, how long before that would get dinged-up in everyday use?

Thanks for the critique.
M.M.
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

Hi Folks,

Beautiful pipes! I really love the way the dynamic grain twist helps the Lifeform pipe look alive!

I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify, what exactly is a condensation chamber? Is it just a gap between the stem tenon and the pipe mortise where vapours condense? Or something more complicated?

Thanks!
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes - received view is that any large gap/empty space between tenon and mortise floor is an area where turbulent flow will occur, and this will cause condesation. Peterson System pipes are the extreme example of the idea - intentionally condensing (and collecting) "excess" moisture. Very few high-grade collectors find the idea acceptable.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Mike, i really like the first one... the second one is a bit short for my taste :)
also, i would like to have that first one without the system - just a plain, regular draft hole :) nice job with lathe :) like it....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

GBMorris wrote:Hi Folks,

Beautiful pipes! I really love the way the dynamic grain twist helps the Lifeform pipe look alive!

I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify, what exactly is a condensation chamber? Is it just a gap between the stem tenon and the pipe mortise where vapours condense? Or something more complicated?

Thanks!
Greg
Much Thanks to you for the compliments.

The authoritative answer to your question....

A little more complicated in "Lifeform," wherein an ancient, alien lifeform from another galaxy, composed entirely of energy, resides in the shank, and draws energy from the hot, humid tobacco smoke as it passes through, and then replaces it with the wisdom of the universe which is transferred to the person smoking the pipe by assimilation :lol:

Seriously, the shank airway dia. increases to 1/4" from 3/16" and slopes down toward the bowl, to cause humidity to condense and with the aid of gravity to flow down into the chamber away from the stem tenon, cooling and drying the smoke, in theory.

The condensation is caused by the air pressure decrease and then cooling when it flows into a larger diameter "condensation chamber" in the shank, before it reaches the stem. That's the simple Physics and Chemistry of it.

Some tobacco is a little hot and humid, and some people like to cool and dry it a little before it gets to their mouth, but in ref. to "Sas." comment, if you are collecting, you might not even smoke the pipe, so it wouldn't make much difference. I don't know if it is a big issue with collectors, or not, but even if it is, since it's only one pipe, if one collector likes it, that would be enough for me.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

tNd wrote:Mike, i really like the first one... the second one is a bit short for my taste :)
also, i would like to have that first one without the system - just a plain, regular draft hole :) nice job with lathe :) like it....
Thanks for the compliment. Yea, the short pipes can burn a little hot, and you might loose some eyebrow, but they look cool, too, sometimes. I don't normally make system pipes. I just threw that in as an afterthought, and I probably won't ever make another one.
Mike