#2...Rusticated Volcano!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
grainisgood

#2...Rusticated Volcano!

Post by grainisgood »

Just buffed today. This pipe was a challenge. The block had a peanut size pit in it which went all the way through the bowl. I decided to keep carving, fill the pit, and rusticate it. Mainly because I need to practice. All drilling was done with Pimo tools for tobacco hole, mortise, and used the Pimo tenon tool also. The stem is pre-fab. Rustication was done with Dremel bits. The rustication looks a bit like a golfball to me but my kind wife says it looks fine. She could be wrong. I'd be grateful for any and all criticism folks. Thanks!

Later, same day...
Had to light it up. Tasted like a fresh pipe. So far the filled pit has not created any problems.
JMG

Re: #2...Rusticated Volcano!

Post by JMG »

Looks good, man...especially for a #2 pipe. Not sure I'd call this a volcano, though. Whatever you call it, though...good job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@grainisgood

Very nice, i love the color, good job!

Although im with JMG, it does not look much like a valcano to me. But hey,... nice pipe! :thumbsup:
grainisgood

Post by grainisgood »

This pipe is a volcano. It's shaped like a hill with a hole where the smoke comes out. I've seen bent volcanos and straight volcanos. Some are very short, some are tall and thin. About the only thing they have in common is that they are wider at the bottom and taper to the top of the bowl. Thanks for your kind comments as well.

I am very interested in a critique of the proportions of the pipe, and the rustication. Thanks.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If you want to define a "volcano" as any pipe that is fatter at the bottom then at the top, then yes, this is a volcano. It is in no way evocative of a volcano, but that's fine.

Stem is too long for the pipe, think 50/50 stem vs wood on something like this. The rustication looks like it was done with a small round-head dremel, and resembles Savinelli's Brownblast technique (the Roma series for example) although you didn't hit the pipe as often as most textures get. The net result, as you say, is golf-ball esque.

So... it's a pipe (unfortunately with a big gash through it, apparently), so go make another! :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
grainisgood

Post by grainisgood »

Thank you, Sasquatch. You are correct about the dremel bits. I used two different sizes. The larger one to make an uneven surface and a smaller one to make the dimples. Think you're right about the stem.I used a pre-fab stem for this. I'd like to get set up for cutting my own stems. And probably will in the future. Thanks for being honest and helpful. I was going to post some other views of the pipe thinking perhaps it was hard to see details from the original shot I posted. The area where the exterior repair is visible is on the lower part of the bowl near the shank in the second and third ones here. I forgot to mention this pipe is a setter.

JMG

Post by JMG »

Profile pics show a lot more "volcano'esque" qualities. The single pic you had posted at first just didn't show the pipes angles very well. Honestly, (and I'll probably get stoned for saying this,) but the first pic by itself looked almost "billiard'ish" at first glance to me.

Now for critiques...I'd agree with Sas that it could use some more rustication. Also, seems like the angle of the top of the bowl tilts backwards. It's just my personal preference, but I think it might look a little better if it were leveled off. With that said, I'll repeat myself in saying that this is a great second pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad