First post- not first pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LarryG

First post- not first pipe

Post by LarryG »

Gentlemen,

This is my sixth or seventh pipe and first post. The first few didn't make it past rough shaping or I gave them to friends and family.

All advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Larry

Massis

Re: First post- not first pipe

Post by Massis »

I like the stummel, the grain is nice and straight. The shape is nicely defined and I like the blank spot on the bottom.
The shank and mouthpiece have a nice flow to it, but I do believe it would look alot better with a slightly less bent stem... This one is bent a bit extreme to my taste..
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Massis,

Thanks for the comments. I struggled with the bend in the stem and settled for what you see here.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Great looking stummel, but I'd agree that the stem's bend is extreme...I think 1/4 bend would have been great. It's hard to tell because of the bend, but it looks like the stem may be a little long as well. The stain job reminds me a lot of a "Johs." The shank/bowl transition looks good as well as as shank/stem. Nice job and good to have you around.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice stummel and stain. Also a very nice shank/bowl transition! But i have to agree with Massis and JMG with the stem. to much bend.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Thanks guys. I never really know how to judge stems particularly length or bends.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The bend is usually pretty easy. What you want to see, which is to say, what makes a pipe look pretty, is smooth, graceful curves. This can be achieved with constant-radius curves or with exanding/contracting curves (french curves) but basically one smooth line is what a guy wants to see.

The stem length on certain shapes is set by tradition and by mathematical relations occassionally, but on a freehand it's much more difficult to decide. I generally look at whether I am trying to build a churchwarden, a regular sort of shape (cracking in around 5-6" total) or something in between. The big question I try to answer is "Is this pipe going to be comfortable."

So once you've set your curves and established a bit of a taper, the stem will just terminate as the two curves come together (in a perfect world).

So like I say, it's real easy. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Sas,

Thanks. That will help me make adjustments on the next one.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's a good first completed pipe. I agree with the others that the bend is very extreme. One general rule of thumb I use is to imagine a vertical line from the rim to the heel disecting the tobacco chamber in halves. Then imagine a line perpendicular to that line but parallel to the top of the rim. Your bend should end with the bit end of your stem being slightly less than parallel to that line. I'm not so good with photoshoping to illustrate but maybe Sas, or better yet Nate, can do it. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

I saw Nate's last photoshop and I am kinda scared...

:shock:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Okay. Here's what I'm referring to:

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

LarryG wrote:I saw Nate's last photoshop and I am kinda scared...

:shock:
Hahaha That was all for humor! Wayne got to yours before I could. That pipe would look super sweet with those lines.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Kind-of radical looking pipe...I think the extreme bend of the stem is outrageous, but I don't have a problem with it. It seems like a creative thing, to me, and sometimes, outrageous is where it's at, so to speak.
I wish the images were a bit larger. I may have a problem with the way the shank seems to get very narrow as it approaches the bowl in the top view....can't say for sure.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

wdteipen wrote:Okay. Here's what I'm referring to:

Thanks Wayne. That image combined with Sas's feedback helps me understand the desired look.

Nate, I knew you were joking. I thought it was funny as hell.