My first and second pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jon G

My first and second pipes

Post by Jon G »

These two pipes are the first fruits of my labor. The first I made in December 2011, and the second I just finished up yesterday. I don't know exactly how to categorize the shape of the first, but the second is meant to be a Dublin with a plateau top. There are definitely some technical and aesthetic flaws, some that can only be seen if your holding it, but overall I am pleased and I definitely hope to get much better. I am having some trouble getting the stems to fit flush against the shank and after reading some other threads I think the Pimo shank facing tool is a good place to start. Please let me know what you think! Be as critical as you want, I want to get better; I am usually my own worst critic anyway. Thanks guys!

P.S. For the Dublin I just stained the plateau and it has a pretty matte finish. I have a feeling that that's not all pipe makers do to the top considering my professional made pipe with a plateau has a slight gloss to it. Should I run it under the buffer with a bit of wax?

Ocelot55

Re: My first and second pipes

Post by Ocelot55 »

First let me say welcome to the forum; we're glad to have you.

For only your first and second pipes those are amazing. I can't offer too much critique but I will point out what I think could use improvement.

I love the first pipe. the shape is really cool, the asymmetry is a nice touch, and the proportions look good, however to me it doesn't look refined. I would start by sanding the inside of the chamber and beveling the inside rim to make it look a little more put together. The stanwell stem fits well, but IMHO I would either cut a stem by hand or use a premold.

You second pipe seems a bit more purposeful. Very nice overall. I can't think of anything that really sticks out as needing improvement.

You did an awesome job. Now go make twenty more. :thumbsup:
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

The second pipe looks awesome, man. The grain on the front is really nice and I actually don't mind the way the plateau is higher on one side of the bowl. Natural asymmetry is OK with me. I think the color came out really nicely too.
Last edited by PhilipMarc on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

P.S. - How did you stain the plateau black without dripping on the rest of the pipe? Or did you stain the whole thing black including the top, sand off the rest of the bowl and then do a contrast stain on the pipe?
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

PhilipMarc wrote:P.S. - How did you stain the plateau black without dripping on the rest of the pipe? Or did you stain the whole thing black including the top, sand off the rest of the bowl and then do a contrast stain on the pipe?
Haha thanks man, I actually stained the stummel first using only buckskin just to see what that color by itself looks like (I think I want to go back and do a contrast stain using black or mahoganny and bucksin though). Then I stained the top very carefully with a pipe cleaner. I actually found that since I buffed the stummel with the caranuba before I stained the top, if any of the black stain got on the stummel I had about 1 second to wipe it off before it was unremovable. If there was no wax it would immediately be unremovable.
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

Ocelot55 wrote:First let me say welcome to the forum; we're glad to have you.

For only your first and second pipes those are amazing. I can't offer too much critique but I will point out what I think could use improvement.

I love the first pipe. the shape is really cool, the asymmetry is a nice touch, and the proportions look good, however to me it doesn't look refined. I would start by sanding the inside of the chamber and beveling the inside rim to make it look a little more put together. The stanwell stem fits well, but IMHO I would either cut a stem by hand or use a premold.

You second pipe seems a bit more purposeful. Very nice overall. I can't think of anything that really sticks out as needing improvement.

You did an awesome job. Now go make twenty more. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments. I definietely got a bit anxious toward the end and just wanted to be done, therefore leading to an unsanded chamber. The one thing I would logve to be able to do is make my own stems, but without a lathe or belt sander I'm finding that a bit difficult. One of those things might be in the picture in the near future though if my prgoress can justify it I think.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Jon G wrote:Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments. I definietely got a bit anxious toward the end and just wanted to be done, therefore leading to an unsanded chamber. The one thing I would logve to be able to do is make my own stems, but without a lathe or belt sander I'm finding that a bit difficult. One of those things might be in the picture in the near future though if my prgoress can justify it I think.
I don't have a lathe either but you can do a significant amount of modification to pre-molded stems. Even then, PME has just about every style of stem a guy could want. You should check it out.
andrew

Post by andrew »

These are great for first pipes.

Your first pipe:
I like the shaping on this one. Was the shape your own idea, or was it from something you saw and liked? As far as dimensions, the stem is a little too long and it could use a little bit more visual weight on the shank. I like the extension, but the bright yellow on dark red is a little intense.

The second:
Dublins can be fun to make. They play well with common grain structures. The bowl shaping is a little probably not what is could be at the bottom. The top line of the shank would also look a little cleaner if it didn't taper quite so much. A little is good, but this is probably too much. Changing the taper may force you to rethink the stem too. A cleanly cut saddle on this one could look really snappy.

Anyway, just one man's thoughts. You did well your first run out. I would encourage you to make some more traditional shapes too. Try a classic billiard, apple or prince (just ideas). Glad to have you here. Now go make some more! :D
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

andrew wrote:These are great for first pipes.

Your first pipe:
I like the shaping on this one. Was the shape your own idea, or was it from something you saw and liked? As far as dimensions, the stem is a little too long and it could use a little bit more visual weight on the shank. I like the extension, but the bright yellow on dark red is a little intense.
Thanks for your compliments. For the first pipe I actually set out to make a Zulu but as I was shaping at the disc sander I got the Idea to make it the shape it is now. So it was for the most part my own idea. I agree with you about the strong contrast between the bowl and shank, as well as your comments about the dublin. It is too flat on the bottom and the shank is kind of boxy :( oh well there is always next time!