New Metal lathe ?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Dozuki

New Metal lathe ?

Post by Dozuki »

I have been poking aroung the site for quite a while now and quite a few people say that a metal lathe is an invaluable tool in pipe making. Now I also make pens and have heard the same thing. I am just wondering what the main draw is with the metal lathe. Does give you that much more control ? So I have been looking around for metal lathes and man those things are not cheap and I don't really have that much space. So I am looking at the )hold your breath) Harbor freight 7x12 precision mini lathe. Has any one used it or heard anything about it. All comments are welcome. Even the smart ass ones. I know you wont be able the resist anyway.

Dozuki.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: New Metal lathe ?

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you buy that Harbor Freight lathe I will delete your account and replace the text of all your posts with "zappity bap bap boom boom YEAH!". :endofmankind:

That particular lathe is a steaming pile of shit, and should be declared illegal to sell. It is too small for stummel work, too shitty for stem work, and WILL drive you insane.

Seriously though, it's probably the worst lathe you could waste your money on. I've been telling people for years not to buy it, and those that do invariably admit that they should have followed my advice. Any of the Harbor Freight mini metal lathes (7x10, 7x12, 8x12) are just pure, pharmaceutical grade garbage.

For that price ($700 !!!) you could kit yourself up REALLY nicely with a good wood lathe and a bunch of tooling.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the warning, Kurt. I can't afford a lathe of any grade right now, but when I do, what would be a good lathe to get started on? How much should one expect to spend for chucks and a lathe?
Dozuki

Post by Dozuki »

WoW. Thats what I hear when my wife is talking and that tells me a lot. Seriously though thanks for the warning I will just have to save up for something that won't drive me totally over the edge. I'm way to close as it is.

What special tools would you remmend for pipe making with a wood lathe.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Dozuki wrote:

A metal lathe.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

e Markle wrote:
Dozuki wrote:

A metal lathe.
:lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Metal Lathes are for talentless old men with shaky hands. The results of using these diabolical contraptions are soulless pipes absolutely indistinguishable from one another.

Real pipe makers like me who walk the tightrope without a net realize that using a wood lathe and hand-held tools produces invariably superior pipes. They are imbued with passion - blood, sweat and tears, and because of this, the resulting creations smolder with an inner fire.

On a small budget, you can set up to make really good pipes with a mini lathe (8x14) if it's good quality. I use a Jet, and it's fine. But aside from the machine-carriage (which is what makes a metal lathe a metal lathe), the tooling is identical - a big 2 jaw chuck to hold briar, a Jacobs-type chuck for bits on the other end. And some smallish cutting tools - I use a 3/8" gauge a lot, and a tiny parting tool and a tiny skew chisel. The "metal lathe" aspect is basically just used in cutting tenons. This can be done by hand, and it's not that hard. A machine carriage makes it faster, easier, and more repeatable. That's what machines do, I suppose....

The fact is, you can make perfectly decent pipes without a lathe - a drill press might solve more of the problems that a less experienced pipe maker might have than a lathe will, considering the skill required to cut stummels on a lathe. A lathe is not, strictly speaking, necessary to make a nice pipe.

That said, it's sure nice, and a good machine is a must - like Kurt says, avoid the cheapies. If this means buying used, so be it, or if it means buying a less sophisticated machine, so be it. Your budget and your intentions are both factors.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Most helpful, Sas, especially the motivational blood, sweat, and what not.

The last time I stuck myself I bled all over the stummel. Morbid as I am, I couldnt help thinking what a blood finish would look like.

Do you think $500 could get me set up with a decent used lathe and chuck?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That probably depends a lot on where you are and what people are trying to sell near you.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ocelot55 wrote:Do you think $500 could get me set up with a decent used lathe and chuck?
Yes, if you live near a Rockler. They have a 10x14 (or thereabouts) wood lathe similar to the Delta and Jet for under $300. Spend the balance on chucks, jaws, chisels and drill bits.

Or, if you find a Jet or Delta 10x14 on the used market, they usually come with a lot of the tooling you know you already need. Just spend some moolah on getting the right tools for the way you work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my metal lathe. However, I spent the first couple years making pipes with no lathe at all, of any kind. Just a drill press, the same shitty bandsaw I have now, and a lot of ambition. As I got better and better, I bought the tools to make me quicker and faster.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

e Markle wrote:
Dozuki wrote:

A metal lathe.
Can I nominate this as post of the year for 2012? I know it is early, but damn...

:lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

SimeonTurner wrote:Can I nominate this as post of the year for 2012? I know it is early, but damn...
Yeah, it's gonna be hard to top.
Dozuki

Post by Dozuki »

I have been trying to turn a metal lathe on my wood lathe and I just cant see to get it to come out right. I think I might just give up on that and go back to trying to make a pipe with it.