Sandblasted Bent Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Sandblasted Bent Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

Finished this one up this weekend. It's a sandblasted bent billiard with black and white ebony (stained) and ebonite stem. In hindsight, I wish I would have left the rim, stamp area, and the ebony natural. Staining it yellow makes it look like one of those cheesy Savinelli's with the gaudy patterned acrylic bands.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Sandblasted Bent Billiard

Post by TRS »

I don't mind the stamp and rim, but I agree about leaving the ebony natural; it does nicely match that Gawith tin though. Boy do I like the shaping on your pipes though. Nice.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All the technical stuff on this pipe is incredible. Blast, finish, all of it. So as you read, bear in mind that I am digging into the deepest reservoir of pipey thoughts here, and what I'm going to offer is an opinion that could be absolutely sideways and which a bunch of other pipe makers might howl at. And that's fine. That's what we're here for.

I find the shank heavy for the bowl size, and the stem while beatifully finished and beautifully bent, would actually be more appropriately shaped for a pipe with a less "English" shank, if that makes any sense, Wayne. It's a very fluid stem and a fairly rigid bowl and shank treatment.

I just had a conversation with an unnamed carver who was working on a large rusticated billiard (still completely secret who that could be) and part of it was a discussion about the fundamental choice a guy makes in doing a bent pipe, but maybe especially a bent billiard, between having a pipe that amounts to a bowl with a straight shank on an upward angle, and a bowl that has what amounts to a curved shank coming off of it. The final angle might be the same, but the bowl position on the shank, the drilling etc are all different, and the "feel" of the pipe is totally different.

So for the sake of this conversation, I'm going to reference "English" as being a pipe with essentially a straight shank on an angle, and "Italian" as being a curved shank. Whether this is a real distinction, I don't know, but the difference between a Viprati and a Dunhill billiard is often found very obviously in the shank treatment.

Look at the Dunhill I clipped for Walle awhile ago:

And compare it to a totally Pesaro pipe:

I would argue that yours is neither fish nor fowl in this case. All the parts individually are terrific, but they don't especially super go together.

I think this pipe requires a little more taper in the shank - it presents as quite heavy right at the stem/shank junction because the shank is so linear (and so thick). Perhaps this is a style thing only, but I'd like to see some taper there, and a less heavy stem against this bowl.

I offer none of this as doctrine, but rather as a discussion that hopefully is interesting to our less established pipe makers, and hopefully helpful in sharpening your thoughts Wayne. If you think I'm full of crap on all of this, I think it would be really valuable to flesh it out.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Actually, I agree with you 100%, Todd. Especially the diameter of the shank. It's the first thing I noticed after I posted the pics. If the bowl was a bit heavier the shank might work and vice versa. And if the shank were in better proportion to the bowl, the stem would follow suit. Thanks for the insightful critique. It confirms what I was also seeing.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That band is tripping me out man! It matches the tin so well I thought you had used a very clear shank extension.

I think the shank is a bit too heavy as well. I was under the impression, however, that curved flowing shanks were an indication of the danish school. I was doing some observations after Sas' post. It seems to me like Italian pipes are a sort of mix. I noticed that a lot of Castellos had curved shanks, but others...who knows.

Anyway, back to your pipe. Shank heavy or not, I love it. That blast is insane! I personally like your aesthetic. I can't wait to see the next masterpiece.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

good looking pipe, and excellent brain food!
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello Wayne,
i not a big fan of bents, but this one looks really good.
Very beautiful blasting and grain.
The stemwork is fantastic.
Best wishes
Tommi
my English is bad