Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Here's the next one. As usual, let me know what I missed, what I can do next time to make it better and in general if it looks like a piece of crap! :lol:
Ocelot55

Re: #1202

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's gorgeous, Charl. I have two comments (not critiques, mind you) that I think would make the pipe look better. First, to me, the stem needs a little bit more bend to it. Second, the grain looks very nice, so why didn't you try a contrast stain? Keep in mind that those comments are just my personal opinion. I think its a great pipe, and one that someone will be proud to own. Keep up the good work.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I like this one a lot.

The only thing I see, and it's a reason I hate close up pictures, the bamboo where it meets the stummel is a bit jagged looking.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hi Charl,
it is such a gorgeous beauty.
I like the big diameter and the small height of the bowl.
The colour looks perfect to me.
Very nice work.
Best wishes Tommi
my English is bad
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Carl

As with Tommi,I'm liking the color and the bend in the mouthpiece is just where I would have left it.. my only critique is the bamboo briar connection..

It looks like it wasn't faced properly prior to glueing. after you drill the mortise in the bamboo (or tenon as I've done both) chuck the drill bit in the lathe and put the bamboo piece on there and reface it.

James
JMG

Post by JMG »

As already stated, the only thing I see as a critique would be to smooth out the chatter on the bamboo where it meets the stummel. Other than that, however, this is a beautiful pipe. Great stem work.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Nate

Post by Nate »

Not bad Charl! Really like this one, all previous comments noted. Looking good, keep it up!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice Pipe Charl. The only thing I would add to what's been said already is that the diameter of your bamboo stem-side looks larger than the diameter of your bamboo shank-side.

I would say, if you can't get equal diameters for both, it would have been better to put the larger diameter shank side. In this case, flip your bamboo around so the largest side was on your shank. That would lend to a natural taper. Just a thought.

I like the shape, and curves, quite a bit. It's a very nice looking pipe.

Great job!

Brian.
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: You guys got me on all counts! I messed up royally with this one!
First I somehow got the bamboo the wrong way around and only realised it when it was too late.
Then I glued the bamboo in place without noticing the jagged edges.
:banghead: