The 8th pipe I made, Chubby Bamboo Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

The 8th pipe I made, Chubby Bamboo Apple

Post by pzhan »

Hey guys, Here is my 8th pipe.
it is a Chubby Bamboo Apple.
Let me know what you think, and hope you like it.

Ocelot55

Re: The 8th pipe I made, Chubby Bamboo Apple

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's a pretty good looking pipe. I will say that is the first pipe I've seen without the bamboo knuckles. It doesn't look bad, but when someone says that they used bamboo, I expect to see the knuckles. Other than that it looks pretty good. There is a little space between the bamboo/bowl transition as seen in picture 5. Good job other than that. You still make a better pipe than I do
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Ocelot55 wrote:That's a pretty good looking pipe. I will say that is the first pipe I've seen without the bamboo knuckles. It doesn't look bad, but when someone says that they used bamboo, I expect to see the knuckles. Other than that it looks pretty good. There is a little space between the bamboo/bowl transition as seen in picture 5. Good job other than that. You still make a better pipe than I do
thanks for your comments.
Yes, there is a little space between the bamboo and bowl, it made a little bit of mistake there when i shaping the pipe, nice catch. :D
the bamboo looks very nice for its own, and looks different. and i like the unique look of it. :D
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nice pipe! I've seen Cornelius Manz and Jeff Gracik using bamboo like this recently. Yours is a very nice homage to those guys! Great job! :D
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
meathod

Post by meathod »

I really like this!

Did you add a little green stain to the briar to match the green of the bamboo?
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I've also seen the pipes others have made using this type of bamboo. Isn't this made from bamboo cut above ground rather than the part underground? If so I tried that about four years back from bamboo which I had cured for two years. The bamboo developed cracks a couple of years later. I haven't used any since but have stuck with the traditional underground stuff. bob gilbert
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

UberHuberMan wrote:Nice pipe! I've seen Cornelius Manz and Jeff Gracik using bamboo like this recently. Yours is a very nice homage to those guys! Great job! :D
thanks, i really like Manz and Jeff's work. I hope someday my pipes are as good as their's.

meathod wrote:I really like this!
Did you add a little green stain to the briar to match the green of the bamboo?
Nope, i didn't, maybe it is the color balance issue of the photos. :roll:
staffwalker wrote:I've also seen the pipes others have made using this type of bamboo. Isn't this made from bamboo cut above ground rather than the part underground? If so I tried that about four years back from bamboo which I had cured for two years. The bamboo developed cracks a couple of years later. I haven't used any since but have stuck with the traditional underground stuff. bob gilbert
You are right, Bob. it is not the root stuff. i don't know what is going to happen to the bamboo after a few years.
but, i added a tube through the bamboo, so it won't effect the smoke even the bamboo cracks. :thumbsup: