Fancy Bent Billiard OK SO IT'S A BLOWFISH

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DMI

Fancy Bent Billiard OK SO IT'S A BLOWFISH

Post by DMI »

This was made from an ebaucheon sent to me by Tyler, I'm not 100% happy with the extending rim and it may come off when I do the final finishing.

For those of you making an Oom Paul the drilling on this is the same as that for an Oom Paul.

Open to offers of sale or trade.

ImageImageImageImageImage

David.
Last edited by DMI on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ocelot55

Re: Fancy Bent Billiard

Post by Ocelot55 »

Looking good. Not much critique from me. The grain on the bowl looks fine, so why the dark stain? I think a nice contrast stain would have added some dramatic effect. Overall though, pretty spiffy looking! Glad to see you turning out some pipes.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Billiard?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

baweaverpipes wrote:Billiard?

I was thinking the same thing. Blowfish surely? Nice work on the extending part though.
DMI

Re: Fancy Bent Billiard OK SO IT'S A BLOWFISH

Post by DMI »

I'm rebelling against the names we give pipes, no more horns, blowfish and volcanoes simply billiards and dublins with various degrees of cant or bend. Or in other words I can't work out what they're supposed to be half the time, it was only yesterday that I found out the difference between a Belge and a Cutty (the spur) and that was down to Chris and Quality Briar.

The finish is not final and shows more of the contrast in the flesh, I was trying to avoid the high contrast as it gets used a lot and I wanted something a little more subtle but if enough people say go high contrast I change it.

David.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

At least it's not a suckfish.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
DMI

Post by DMI »

One Sucker Fish:

Better known as a Pleco.

I keep telling my customers that they don't have to suck on my pipes.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

DMI wrote:I'm rebelling against the names we give pipes, no more horns, blowfish and volcanoes simply billiards and dublins with various degrees of cant or bend. Or in other words I can't work out what they're supposed to be half the time, it was only yesterday that I found out the difference between a Belge and a Cutty (the spur) and that was down to Chris and Quality Briar.

David.
I wholeheartedly agree. I refuse to name a pipe shape. There is just too much leeway in shapes. Most that I see for sell are advertised as something completely different than what I think they are. I think sometimes that a maker makes something and thinks what do I call this, oh, I haven't made an apple this month so this is an apple or I've already made two apples so this will be a tomato. When someone asks me at a show what shape one of my pipes is, I tell him, 'I don't know, you buy it, decide what shape you think it is, tell me and I'll back your decision.' bob gilbert
Nate

Post by Nate »

Call it what you like David, I like it! Nice work sir!