Oom Paul Competition

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Oom Paul Competition

Post by TRS »

Okay, here's mine. I'll probably refinish it a bit better later, but I had to get it in by the deadline. Also, I'm going to try to take better pictures later, but my time right now is fully occupied. This was fun.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Great pipes getting posted in this thread, my kudos to all participating!

In private chat I have asked Sas to excuse me from the contest itself as I have already sold my first entry:

and I think this one I am just finishing up now is already sold too:

So, out of respect to the purchaser I would rather not have them "judged", even if alcohol and capriciousness are involved in the judging :) While I would love a new Sasquatch pipe I already own more pipes than most folks would believe anyhow :shock: (just for my own ego boost I'm pretending I had a chance!)

I would not have made either one of these pipes if not for this thread so thanks again Todd for pushing us all like you did.

Many thanks and best wishes to all entries!
Bill
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Too bad about the grain on that bottom one, Bill. :evil: Is the other side that good? That's a nice job on picking your cut.

Anyway, to business. It is now April 1. Contest closed.

I thought this would be a good challenge; apparently it was more of a challenge than I had anticipated - there are something like a half dozen dead or at least badly wounded pipes in this thread, and I didn't expect that. Fun stuff! Dead and wounded pipes are disqualified. (Capricious!)

When I started this, I didn't really expect problems as the judge - I figured one pipe would just be .... somehow more Oom Pauly than the rest. This is not the case, and I am stuck looking at all the entries and thinking "Wow, that's really Oom Pauly in suchandsuch a way."

Brooks's pipe almost won, I liked his use of cherry and purpleheart - makes the pipe a little more 1890s africa. But Brandon joined the board before I did. So he's kicked out for that. (I did promise capriciousness - I'm oathbound here people).

Cmueller's pipe looks like a well put together affair, and though ungainly for angles, I think it works. Also very good rustication on that one.

Eric's pipe was what I was originally thinking about - a classic billiard shape with a squarish bum and hard angles. I thought I'd see about 10 that looked just like this. But he broke it. Disqualified!

Both of Billiard's pipes are great, and even though he doesn't want a critique or even be in the contest, I'm gonna say I like the pipes, I like the drilling idea, and I think they're cool. Bill backed out. Disqualified!

Beatus's pipe has a cool elongated shape, a very refined take on the Oom Paul. Too smooth. Disqualified!

Meathod's pipe is great, and the finish, stem, and metal work all take me right to africa. At first, I thought "Wow, that's crazy, what a wacked-out take on the Oom Paul that is." but the more I looked at it, the more I thought "You know, this guy's got talent, and the pipe says "Africa" to me." But.... he overplayed his hand. The "making of" video that went with the pipe showed me a pipe maker who perhaps has not done an Oom Paul before, but who is in full control of his pipe-making acumen, and that's really not what this contest was aimed at. So... great pipe, but too good. Disqualified!

EDIT: OOPS I forgot Taharris.... what a jerk (me). Todd's pipe was a cool take on the O.P. - leaning toward a dublin and showing some Danish tendencies, which is what gets him disqualified.

This leaves the only entry being Cmueller, so be process of elimination (and by making a nice pipe) he is the official winner.

Congrats and thanks to all who participated - the blood sweat and tears of all are apparent in each attempt.

Cmueller, shoot me a pm.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Congrats Cmuellie! Hope your BS&T are worth Sas' BS&T! Very nice pipes all.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Sasquatch wrote:Too bad about the grain on that bottom one, Bill. :evil: Is the other side that good?
Thanks for the kind comments Sas. There are many things on the second pipe that could use improvement, I sure learned a lot making that one. The grain though is very nice all around. Lots of pics here: http://billboylepipes.weebly.com/zio-vinny-ii.html if you or anyone would like to have a look.

Well done contest Todd. Kudos to all participants and congrats Cmueller!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Congrats Cmuellie! This was a great learning experience that I would not have attempted without the challenge.

Thank you Sas for the compliment and the nod. I appreciate your capricious ways as well.

Great pipes guys.

Brandon.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Congratulations Cmuellie!

Sas, thanks for putting this together. I learned a lot making my Oom Squatch Mark II and really benefited from the experience.

I must admit that I never really gave the Oom Paul shape much consideration because I always found the shape to be somewhat ugly. However, now that I have made one I still think that they are ugly, but I appreciate them a lot more.

My pipe has a bad spot inside the bowl which rendered the pipe un-saleable so, sadly, I had to turn it into a shop pipe. And I must admit that I love it to smoke! I can't believe how light it is on the teeth and how dry it smokes!

I hate to say this Sas, but you have made me an Oom Paul convert! 8)

Thanks!

Todd (the one South of the border)
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Holly crap, thanks Sas and everyone else who participated. This was a nice learning experience and I look forward to learning more. Sas, PM sent.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

cmueller wrote:Holly crap, thanks Sas and everyone else who participated. This was a nice learning experience and I look forward to learning more. Sas, PM sent.
Agreed, congrats!
meathod

Post by meathod »

haha, congrats!!

This was fun, Lets do more of these!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Well, as you can see, I didn't finish mine, not in time anyway. I got called back out of town again. Sas being the mean cuss he is would probably have disqualified me anyway. :filth-n-foul: Just kidding you Sas.

Thanks for putting this together, I learned a lot from what I did get finished. I'll be working on it some more and will post a finished picture when I get done.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Yeah, I agree that this was a pipe massacre. I was trying to finish one too, but wound up screwing up a block. I wish I wasn't working on a Master's thesis then I'd have time to make pipes... Stoopid skool! :filth-n-foul:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Despite the horrendous slaughter of innocent briar, I have to say: Great work everyone! It's been a blast following along and seeing the creative solutions that you've all come up with. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
eric

Post by eric »

Sasquatch wrote:Disqualified!
You crack me up, man. :lol: Thanks for putting it together and donating one of your creations. I had fun and learned a lot.

And congrats Cmueller. That's a nice pipe you made.