New member saying "Hi"

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Blueb3

New member saying "Hi"

Post by Blueb3 »

Sorry, I'm long winded, you've been warned!

Hi there, my name is Greg, and I've been smoking a pipe off and on for almost 20 years, since the tender age of 17 :D I live in Columbus, Ohio, and am blessed to live so close to multiple smoke shops, but Pipes & Pleasure's is by far my favorite (and the closest!).

Had been lurking for a while, trying to decide if this was a hobby that I wanted to try. The decision was made clear on my birthday when I discovered that due to my own dumb self, I had broken my one and only pipe (Manhall freehand, that I had inherited from a friend). The stem had broken off inside the pipe :cry: Took it over to my local pipe shop to see if they could repair it, which even though they don't make pipes onsite anymore, could send it off to get repaired, but it would take "a couple, three weeks". So I figured, why not make my own pipe? I've watched videos, seen picture threads, and thought to myself "How hard can it really be?" answer: lot harder than it looks!

I ordered a pre-drilled kit from Pimo, and it arrived super fast. I didn't want to just start cutting into it though, so I picked up a couple pieces of hard wood to practice shaping on. Since the kit was the only "pipe" I had, I decided to start breaking the bowl in while working on a design. People look at you weird when you smoke a pipe kit... Spent two weeks going through tons of ideas on how to cut/shape the pipe. Every time I think I had it figured out, I'd tack up the picture for a day and see what I thought, then ball it up and throw it in the trash. Finally decided on a design that I was happy with, and drew out the shape on the briar. Called the pipe shop after the 3rd week and was told my pipe had sat at the shop for 2 weeks before being sent off for repairs, and it would be "a couple more weeks" till it came back :filth-n-foul: A pint of Guinness goes really good with smoking a pipe.

So tonight I finally made my rough cuts in the briar, using advice that's been posted in many threads about leaving room when making cuts, and I'm really liking how the shape is coming along! The briar is a lot easier to cut than some of the exotic hardwood "turning blocks" I picked up (thankfully!), but still slow going when doing cuts with a coping saw. I have a dremel, a belt sander, and a handful of files for the next step, as well as access to a nicely equipped wood shop. I am not expecting an awe inspiring final product, I'll be happy with something that fits nicely in my hand and doesn't look like my 5 year old made it. Also when it comes time to stain it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a weird color. I'm thinking blue.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Hope to have this pipe finished in a week or two, and will post it in the gallery when the time comes.
Ocelot55

Re: New member saying "Hi"

Post by Ocelot55 »

Welcome Greg.

I'm anxious to see the fruit of your labor.

One note on blue stain: it is very difficult to work with. If you use Fiebings it tends to bronze if you put too much, and its really hard to get a nice vibrant blue color. Horace DeJarnett stains a couple of his pipes a nice vibrant blue, but I have no clue how he does it.
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Thanks for the warning :) I'm saving all my scrap pieces of briar to test on, so hopefully my pipe will come out with a decent color.

This is the kit I started with:

And here it is with the rough cuts out of the way.

Hoping the weather stays nice so I can work on my car and move it out of the garage so I can work on the pipe :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It would appear that you have cut the front/top of the bowl off at about 45 degrees. Bowl top angle now running parallel to the shank, which is a little unusual on a bent pipe. You got a picture of the sketch you're shooting for?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Is a rough idea, which is about where I'm at after today. At this point I'm just winging it until it looks/feels right. Still working out in my head how I want the bowl shape to be. I've smoked it a couple times since I cut the top off, and it smokes quite well.

Like I said, I'm not going for style points, just something that's mine, and makes me happy. It's my first pipe and I want to get a "feel" for it and see if it's something I really enjoy (which I am LOVING so far)
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

decided to get off my butt and grab the camera to take some shots of it "in progress". Spent about an hour today with the dremel (60 grit drum) So far so good, but I can tell I'm going to have my work cut out for me with getting it even. Still trying to figure out if I want the bowl as a round, or rounded square. Thoughts?

and yeah, that's a nasty pit there in the side, but hopefully it's not too deep /fingers crossed

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's pretty tough to make a freehand pipe with flat sides and not have it look like you were just too lazy to make it round, to be perfectly honest. Do it as you please, of course, but getting rid of the evidence that a pipe came out of a block 3" by 1.75" usually makes for a better looking pipe. The answer is usually "yes" to the question "should this material come off"
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Any tricks on getting a nice round shape? Or just tons of patience and a steady hand?
OregonCustom

Post by OregonCustom »

Sasquatch wrote:It's pretty tough to make a freehand pipe with flat sides and not have it look like you were just too lazy to make it round, to be perfectly honest. Do it as you please, of course, but getting rid of the evidence that a pipe came out of a block 3" by 1.75" usually makes for a better looking pipe. The answer is usually "yes" to the question "should this material come off"
The first couple I did, I had to force myself to cut/sand that little extra off. It’s was really hard to relinquish the security of a flat surface and go all in. But the rewards are great when you do!
Not sure I want my hobby to turn into my job largely because I grow to hate my job....
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Sticking with the flat sides, I like the look. I did clean up the lines a bit though. Think it's looking rather handsome.

Carving is complete, and I'm up to the 220 grit sand paper. When should I put the first coat of dye on?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome!!!
taharris

Post by taharris »

Blueb3 wrote:Sticking with the flat sides, I like the look. I did clean up the lines a bit though. Think it's looking rather handsome.

Carving is complete, and I'm up to the 220 grit sand paper. When should I put the first coat of dye on?
Welcome Greg,

You can start putting dye on any time now, and then sand it back with the next grade of sand paper.

I do this until after I've sanded back with 400 grit and then put on the final coat of dye.

Todd
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

I was at my local lowes yesterday replacing some hand tools (destroyed a socket set last weekend doing brakes) and they had a can of the minwax water based stain (tint base) that was damaged. (wicked dent in side of can, but still sealed) So I picked it up and they tinted it blue for me. I figured for $4 I couldn't go wrong with a quart of stain. At the very least I can mess around and see what I can produce. I should have some test pictures tonight :)
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

screw that, this was crap stain! :filth-n-foul:
I tried it at 100 grit and 220 grit, and from 3 minutes (what the instructions said NOT to exceed) and up to 15 minutes. There is a *hint* of blue in the grain on the 100 grit @ 15 minutes which pretty much disappears as soon as I sanded it with the 220. :banghead:

Just ordered 3 colors of Fieblings, and should get them next week.

I did hang out with Roswitha Anderson of S&R pipes over @ Pipes and Pleasures after work today and picked up a really nice eubachon of Grecian briar :)
taharris

Post by taharris »

I use Roswitha's briar quite a bit. Good stuff.

Tim West also lives in Columbus and he is a great guy and a great resource.
Give him a call. You'll be glad you did. http://www.jhlowe.com/

Todd
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

This piece of briar I picked up has some great character, just trying to find a good shape to go with. That and I think this one *might* be a gift... maybe, if I don't keep it for myself :D

Still breaking in my first pipe while waiting on my fieblings get here. :)
Just realized I haven't posted a pic of the changes to my pipe!
I'm not too happy with the bottom, so going to taper it in some, because it doesn't look right compared to the rest, and maybe complete the notch at the top.