2012 CPCC Seminar Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

2012 CPCC Seminar Pipe

Post by d.huber »

Made this one at the CPCC seminar this past week. It ain't all that and a bag of chips, but it's a pipe!

I had a good time at the seminar and learned a lot from some great pipe makers. Thanks to those who helped make this pipe come together. You know who you are.

Plus the pipe my girlfriend made! (Hers is better.) :P

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Re: 2012 CPCC Seminar Pipe

Post by Hudson »

Yeah, you're right UberMon, hers is better. Yours is, like, PINK! Is this your "Save the ta-ta's" pipe?

Still, I'm envious you got to go to the workshop, I really could use something like that.

Congratch
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Hudson wrote:Yeah, you're right UberMon, hers is better. Yours is, like, PINK! Is this your "Save the ta-ta's" pipe?

Still, I'm envious you got to go to the workshop, I really could use something like that.

Congratch
Whoa now. While I do love the ta-tas, that pipe ain't pink, my friend. That's the pure, unadulterated color of the beautiful briar burl that I ruined. :P

-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

UberHuberMan wrote: that pipe ain't pink, my friend. That's the pure, unadulterated color of the beautiful briar burl that I ruined. :P

yea... pink briar... it's PRETTY...
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I still like the blast on yours, Uber. You should include some better pic's of your girl's pipe. I'm curious about the profile.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Ocelot55 wrote:I still like the blast on yours, Uber. You should include some better pic's of your girl's pipe. I'm curious about the profile.
Thanks a lot! I'm relatively happy with the blast. This pipe was a challenge and didn't wind up as prettily shaped as I'd hoped, pink briar or no. :P

The next chance I get I'll take some more thorough pics of her pipe. She'll be the first to say this angle is it's best angle, though.

-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

[/quote] Whoa now. While I do love the ta-tas, that pipe ain't pink, my friend. That's the pure, unadulterated color of the beautiful briar burl that I ruined. :P[/quote]

Must be my monitor. I was thinking hers was natural and yours is definitely rosier. But in any case, I do think yours would look better if it were darker. Looks like you're already breaking her in which is, after all, what it's really for.

If you get a chance I'd love to hear more about the seminar/workshop, how it was organized, how much you learned, etc.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Alden

Post by Alden »

Was great to meet you there David, had a lot of fun hanging out with you and the missus. I kind of lost track of you guys and never had a chance to say goodbye.
To answer Hudsons question, you will get as much as you want to get from the class. The instructors are world class pipemakers willing to answer any question you have and give you some direction with your efforts. Rad Davis, Andy Peterson, Rex Poggenpohl, Mike Butera and Brian Ruthenberg helped me out a lot. But there were many more amazing guys helping out or dropping in for comments. One memorable moment for me was sandblastng my Bent Egg and looking up to see Teddy Knudson watching over my shoulder. :lol: I dont think he was terribly impressed with the effort, but he did give some good advice. "I just have someone else sandblast my pipes".
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Edward wrote:Was great to meet you there David, had a lot of fun hanging out with you and the missus. I kind of lost track of you guys and never had a chance to say goodbye.
To answer Hudsons question, you will get as much as you want to get from the class. The instructors are world class pipemakers willing to answer any question you have and give you some direction with your efforts. Rad Davis, Andy Peterson, Rex Poggenpohl, Mike Butera and Brian Ruthenberg helped me out a lot. But there were many more amazing guys helping out or dropping in for comments. One memorable moment for me was sandblastng my Bent Egg and looking up to see Teddy Knudson watching over my shoulder. :lol: I dont think he was terribly impressed with the effort, but he did give some good advice. "I just have someone else sandblast my pipes".
Yeah, unfortunately we had to duck out Friday evening and didn't get to say goodbye to everyone. :(
I was only able to get three days off from work for the show and opted to attend the workshop instead of the show this year.

It was great getting to meet you, Ryan. I really look forward to hanging out with you in the future and to seeing your work evolve! :D

-Tyler Beard
LAH

Post by LAH »

That blasting is very cool!

Abe
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Hudson wrote:Must be my monitor. I was thinking hers was natural and yours is definitely rosier. But in any case, I do think yours would look better if it were darker. Looks like you're already breaking her in which is, after all, what it's really for.

If you get a chance I'd love to hear more about the seminar/workshop, how it was organized, how much you learned, etc.
I spent a bit more time looking at the photos and I see the pink. Strange though, 'cause in person the pipe isn't anywhere near that color. How odd.

I had a great time at the seminar! I got to learn from a bunch of very talented pipe makers. In addition to the guys who Ryan mentioned, Kai Gotoh, Tonni Nielsen, Premal Cheddah, Hiroyuki Tokutomi, Jeff Gracik, and Teddy Knudsen also made appearances and helped out participants.

There were a lot of little details that I learned through tips from these guys but I also learned how challenging it is to shape around two holes. This was the first time that I've shaped a predrilled stummel and boy was it hard! I found myself shaping to the holes and not to the design of the pipe. That pipe that you see at the top of this thread was supposed to be a blowfish of some kind. :lol:

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LAH wrote:That blasting is very cool!

Abe
Thanks Abe! :D

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I also want to mention that I got to meet Nate King, Wayne Teipen, Simeon Turner, and Ernie Markle. I know nobody here knows them, but they're pretty alright guys. ;)

-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

UberHuberMan wrote:I also want to mention that I got to meet Nate King, Wayne Teipen, Simeon Turner, and Ernie Markle. I know nobody here knows them, but they're pretty alright guys. ;)
Danke, Uber. That's quite a lineup of talent, rarefied air, indeed. Guess I'd better start saving now for next year; I may actually have some idea what I'm doing by then.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool work, go make another! :D Great meeting you and your better half in Chicago!!
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hi man,
Ocelot55 wrote:I still like the blast on yours, Uber.
I think so too, very nice.
Nate wrote:Cool work, go make another!
Yes, make another. I look forward to the next.
Greetings Tommi
my English is bad