moving along

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sam a

moving along

Post by sam a »

its been a little while since i've posted anything here, but i've been hard at work making pipes, and setting up a worshop. just finished my first pipe with a totally handcut stem. i'm pretty pumped about that. anyhow all criticism is welcome. gotta get better somehow.

The Smoking Yeti

Re: moving along

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I am no expert when it comes to critiquing classic shapes- but that is one sexy pipe. I like the stem too- good work man!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Alden

Post by Alden »

Wow dude, that is a really nice pipe. Classy looking little bugger!
You done real good, buddy :D
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Real nice, very good job man. No critique here.
Michael Labo
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Looks awesome to me! Keep up the good work!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

This is a beautiful pipe! I love the grain, and your geometry, fit and finish all seem really well executed. The only thing I'm not sure of (and this is nitpicking here--[and, fellers, please correct me if I'm wrong]) is the length of the stem--it seems a tad too long to be a Canadian (as does the pipe itself), and a bit short to be a billiard. Still, this is a great looking pipe, and, if I saw this out at a pipe show, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it. Really nice.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I am no master of classic shapes, but it looks like a slightly short Canadian with a slightly longer than usual stem. Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's slightly different than the norm and one heck of a good lookin pipe!

Myself, I like it. I wouldn't change a thing.
sam a

Post by sam a »

Sorringowl wrote:This is a beautiful pipe! I love the grain, and your geometry, fit and finish all seem really well executed. The only thing I'm not sure of (and this is nitpicking here--[and, fellers, please correct me if I'm wrong]) is the length of the stem--it seems a tad too long to be a Canadian (as does the pipe itself), and a bit short to be a billiard. Still, this is a great looking pipe, and, if I saw this out at a pipe show, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it. Really nice.

you're defiantly right... i was actually going for a shorter canadian stem, but was bit too generous while cutting it. the goal then became, finish it and do what i could to make it not look to awkward (and not do that again :lol: )
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ok since nobody has done any serious smack talk on this pipe, I'll give it a shot. I kind of got away from critiquing pipes because I only know what looks right to me, not what is actually right :D
Your button looks pretty damn tall, but really nicely done otherwise.
The back of the bowl looks too straight. Go halfway to 3/4 up the bowl, and to my eye there should be just a minimal bulge outward in that line instead of straight up from top to bottom.
The taper on your stem looks wrong for the shank. Either the taper should start closer to the button, or flow all the way into the shank. Not sure whats proper , but it looks like a small "no mans land" just before the shank where its not quite flat, but not quite tapered. Throws off the symmetry somehow. It may be that the shank is slightly larger on the stem end than the bowl end ? I cant tell, but something looks out of place around the stem/shank junction.
Dont know whether I've done you any good, or just fed you some bullshit, but either way thats where I would look to make corrections.
sam a

Post by sam a »

ryan, points all noted. thanks for taking the time big buddy.