Pricing Your Pipe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Gershom

Pricing Your Pipe

Post by Gershom »

Guys, I have a merchant who is interested in carrying my pipes. I need some advice from you. He said that I need to set a price for my pipes, that he would buy them for that amount, and that he would resale them at about double the rate. How do you price your own pipe? Could someone give me an approximate price for a decent, mid-sized pipe? I put approximately 10-15 hours into each one. I just can't seem to come to a decision, and thought you guys could help me out.

Here is a picture of one of them.

Thanks!
archaggelosmichail

Re: Pricing Your Pipe

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Well only one advise, don't ever price your pipe acording to working hours, only by the final result.I've worked only 6 hours for my best pipe while others took me more time.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

So do you have a price idea for a medium size, well made, artisan pipe?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The pipe, as shown, should be priced at $50 as I don't consider it to be an artisan pipe, but one from a new carver.
Is that pipe from a kit?
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Yes for sure it's not an artisan pipe, an artisan pipe reflects the aesthetics, of course it can be well made if drilling is ok.

I suggest to take some time and try to work on your pipe's form, and then you can talk to a retailer
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

baweaverpipes wrote:The pipe, as shown, should be priced at $50 as I don't consider it to be an artisan pipe, but one from a new carver.
Is that pipe from a kit?
It is rare for me to agree with Bruce but I do in this case. I would think the max price that pipe could ever sell for would be $50 and that's a final price so if you are selling it to someone who will double the price then you should ask $25. Please don't get your feelings hurt. All pipemakers go through that phase when they think they are making a beautiful perfect pipe while others see it as what it is--a beginner's pipe. bob gilbert
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with what's been said, but will attack the problem from the retailer's perspective. For 50 bucks, he can buy a Savinelli, and sell it for 90. Same with Peterson or Stanwell, or basically any brand. Retail markup is something near 100% most of the time. So if he's going to buy stock from you, it's gotta sell, which is to say, he is not going to pay $250 for your pipe hoping to sell it for $500.00

You might be better off selling privately for awhile with no markup, or with the markup going into your pockets rather than his.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks all for your advice. Really helped me. My feelings are not hurt at all!

I think I will stick with selling to individuals, as advised.

The pipe is not from a kit. I do all the drilling. It is one of the Algerian Briar Blocks from Vermont Freehand.

I do think it is beautiful, mostly because it is getting a little closer to a goal. But I agree, it is a beginner's pipe. You are correct, I probably should have said "handmade" instead of artisan.

Anyone want to buy a 50 dollar pipe? ;) Just kidding.

Hey, 50 bucks is still 50 bucks more than what I have now. Thanks again!

Progress.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I've sold some of my pipes to a B&M here in town. I took $35 a piece; he sells them for about $65. I could sell them for more on my own, but I know that I am guaranteed at least $35 for them if I get in a spot. Of course now that I'm starting to sell pipes for $80-$150 he isn't wanting to pay a whole lot more for them so he hasn't gotten any in a while.

I just know one thing:

I HATE PRICING!!!! :filth-n-foul:
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Agreed.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

As far as what Bob said- yeah I totally go through the "wow this pipe is amazing" phase with just about every f-ing pipe I make. Maybe one day I'll start looking back and saying "wow this is an amazing pipe". Who knows, it takes time and keep sloggin' away is my suggestion. (I'm currently in love with the engineering on my current piece, once again I think it is "amazing").
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

Ocelot55 wrote:I've sold some of my pipes to a B&M here in town. I took $35 a piece; he sells them for about $65. I could sell them for more on my own, but I know that I am guaranteed at least $35 for them if I get in a spot. Of course now that I'm starting to sell pipes for $80-$150 he isn't wanting to pay a whole lot more for them so he hasn't gotten any in a while.

I just know one thing:

I HATE PRICING!!!! :filth-n-foul:

I met with a distributor for smoke shops today who told me lots of stores want to use a 3x markup, the modest ones only double the price.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

futodugouts wrote:

I met with a distributor for smoke shops today who told me lots of stores want to use a 3x markup, the modest ones only double the price.
I think that depends entirely on what sort of "smoke shops" they are. :P

I don't know of any tobacconist that does more than a keystone markup. Except some in China. :lol:

Rad