I Need Some Serious Critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

I Need Some Serious Critique

Post by Cory »

Disclaimer: I am waiting for Delrin to arrive and then I am going to do the Delrin tenon, so that is why it isn't quite lined up - but if there is anything y'all can see right away and before it is fully complete feel free to let me know.

Here is what I am currently working with:

Let me know what I can do to make it better - looking for honesty (even if it is brutal), specific advice, and not 'could use some work but you're doing good for a newbie'.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to improving my skills!
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Sasquatch

Re: I Need Some Serious Critique

Post by Sasquatch »

All right. I'm gonna send you a PM here Cory cuz I am gonna be honest and probably confuse you here a bit. So we'll do psychotherapy privately and the critique publically.

That pipe looks exactly like a ... fifth or so pipe probably should look. (If it's your fourth your ahead of the curve and will be a superstar, if it's your sixth, it's hopeless, give up pipemaking and become a monk).

Typically we can say this because the pipe is a bunch of "in betweens". Is it square or round? In between. Horn or dublin? In between. Straight or bent? In between. And that wishy-washy lack of surety in shaping and design is the hallmark of a beginner. We've all been there, trust me. Fuck it - I'm still there. :oops:

The pipe is curved, in places, but the curves than flatten out, especially on the bowl. Check out the idea of a French curve - a mathematically regular lessening of the curve radius looks a lot nicer than a more or less random execution of curve into flat.

Stem is long, probably shouldn't be curved (if you want those smooth reverse curves, why the hell do a saddle?). So again, it's between ideas.

Lots more material could and should come off the pipe - give us some symmetry on the chamber placement, give us nicer curvature on the bowl into the shank (or make the thing a cutty-type pipe and define the bowl more and get RID of some of this curvature - but I think your intention is a horn so let's leave it as a horn, hmm?).

It looks like a nice piece of briar, your finish could certainly be shinier (shiny shit sells, it's as simple as that). I'm gonna clip a picture here and offer you a new set of lines for the profile.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Here's one way to take it

To keep the graceful bend, you want to take the pipe more in a zulu sort of shape:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/p ... t_id=73239
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Cory

Post by Cory »

Sasquatch wrote:That pipe looks exactly like a ... fifth or so pipe probably should look. (If it's your fourth your ahead of the curve and will be a superstar, if it's your sixth, it's hopeless, give up pipemaking and become a monk).

It is my second - first 'complete'. My first one is still just a stummel.
Sasquatch wrote:The pipe is curved, in places, but the curves than flatten out, especially on the bowl. Check out the idea of a French curve - a mathematically regular lessening of the curve radius looks a lot nicer than a more or less random execution of curve into flat.

I was worried how the round to flat would work, thanks for the guidance on that note.
Sasquatch wrote:Lots more material could and should come off the pipe - give us some symmetry on the chamber placement, give us nicer curvature on the bowl into the shank (or make the thing a cutty-type pipe and define the bowl more and get RID of some of this curvature - but I think your intention is a horn so let's leave it as a horn, hmm?).

I see how the lines in your picture work better. I think I was going for a curved horn, but didn't quite pick the right block for that idea (to small and conflicting grain) - I feel like that is why it is kind of a zulu/horn/dublin mess.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Sasquatch wrote:Here's one way to take it

To keep the graceful bend, you want to take the pipe more in a zulu sort of shape:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/p ... t_id=73239
Damn you really narrowed it down couldnt have said it better myself. Thank you Sasquatch for helping a newbie on his adventure.

Cory nice looking pipe especially for a second pipe. Shoot my second pipe was a disaster. Keep up the good work and keep posting new pipes i love to see new ideas all the time.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'll add that you need to maintain crisper edges. For example, look at the outer edge of the rim. It is rounded. You have to be disciplined in the direction and angles you use your files, rasps, and sandpaper (or whatever you're using to remove material.) Another example is the edges on your square shank. It just takes practice to figure out how best to use your tools to accomplish the task.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

One way I was taught early on in my bowl turning career to find flats is with a pencil. It should never stop on the curve. If you feel it stop, you've got a flat spot.

It's hard to explain without showing you, but lay the pencil over your index and pinky, and put the other two above, now rock the pencil lengthwise over any curved areas, you'll feel the flats plain as day.

I also like to apply the "ever changing radius" to any piece that needs to flow. Basically, the human eye will pick up a change in radius if you don't keep it flowing, and it just wont look right. Look at a french curve, it never has an exact radius on it anywhere, but it flows gracefully and is ever changing.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I'd say you're off to a good start in pipe making. I wanted to do a horn fairly early on as well, not quite my first, or second...or even my 5th, but I ended up putting it away because I didn't think I had the vision or skill to finish it. I ended up picking it back up months later and finished it and it sold. I'm not sure how good it was, but it was better than if I had tried to finish it earlier.

All that to say, you're doing well, and you'll have a pipe to be proud of when you're done, but it might be worth trying some more traditional shapes for your next few pipes. Try to get a handle on a few concepts at a time and then start adding in some new complexities here and there as your skills start needing more challenges.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I ran across this horn by Adam Davidson and thought it might be worth a look:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/a ... t_id=53666
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker