Volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Volcano

Post by taharris »

Here is a Volcano I just finished for a commission.

Just thought I would share.

Todd

Gershom

Re: Volcano

Post by Gershom »

Really nice. I was hoping to see the blue of the stem on the underside, contrasting the rest of the plateaux, but that is just preference. Lovely.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Todd,

I don't exactly crave for that stem colour, but overall this looks like very nice work. Congrats !

Jens
taharris

Post by taharris »

Jos wrote:Hi Todd,

I don't exactly crave for that stem colour, but overall this looks like very nice work. Congrats !

Jens
I agree, but "the customer is always right" (at least most of the time. :D )

Actually, these highly colored acrylic stems seem to be wildly popular.

Gershom, blue on the bottom would have looked cool. I hadn't even thought of it...

Todd
Alden

Post by Alden »

taharris wrote:
"the customer is always right"
The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer :o
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

I love the Volcano shape. May be the next shape I try. I love the look of this pipe, and do agree about the stem as well but as you say, the one pays, chooses!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I think the conversation we had re: commission work applies here. When you're a famous pipemaker looking back on your past work, you' ll likely regret this one. The customer is not always right in a real world. That being said, there's at least one person who likes this stem and you' ve apparently found him.

The stem material aside, the pipe shaping isn't bad. The top of the shank at the bowl could be much more defined. The lines from the stem to shank are disjointed and lack grceful flow which makes the stem stick out even more like a sore thumb. The bowl shaping isn't bad but could use some more refining.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

taharris wrote:
I agree, but "the customer is always right"
Not this guy. Yikes.

Other than that, I think you did a nice job. I think I would have brought the shank/bowl transition down a fair bit more.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the honest feed back.

Wayne, how would you have handled a request for this stem material? Would you have turned the commission down?
(I'm just curious.)

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

One should never turn down a commission based on one's thinking that the pipe will turn out ugly.

Make what the customer wants. You ain't gotta like it, but you'll get paid for it. :lol:

Rad
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Nice shaping. I've been trying to make a volcano and had intended to have that flare but I keep losing my courage.

Stem-wise, I'd be inclined to make a second one the way you think it should be, photograph it for your gallery/portfolio and squirrel it away for when the client gets tired of the turquoise. Even better if you could build it into your pricing for the next commission. Artists need satisfaction too.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

taharris wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate the honest feed back.
:lol: :lol:
Wayne, how would you have handled a request for this stem material? Would you have turned the commission down?
(I'm just curious.)

Todd
I would have made the pipe and stamped it 'Rad Davis USA 2012'.
:lol:

I never accept a comission until i've heard their idea. If they pitch the idea and it doesn't fit my style or peak my interest i just be honest and tell them it just doesn't fit my style. If it's just a few things i don't like then i'll make some suggestions. Sometimes the collaboration works out and sometimes we part ways. Sometimes i'll suggest a particular pipemaker who I think lines up better with the project.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

From viewing the first photo, I would assume this volcano would be spewing mercury.
"Run for the hills, Hilda, there's gonna be mercury in the air and we'll all become pipe makers if we don't get outta here!"
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

Todd your morta volcano in your gallery looks badass. ;) the definition on that one is a bit different than the one above, I think the variation with the volcano style is cool.. would definately like to try one. is there some standard chart with an exact shape or is it all artistic preference?
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

I agrees with Rad.... i have made huge billiards with one inch wide mouthpieces.....yes one in wide with a 3 1/2 height bowl by 8 inch long!!!!!! the last thing i would ever want myself :lol:
Batchelor_of_Briar

Post by Batchelor_of_Briar »

I see a huge Hawaiian wave crashing into a volcanic island...eye catching stuff!
taharris

Post by taharris »

I appreciate the everyone's comments and just wanted to give an update.

The customer reconsidered the color and asked if I would change it, which I did.

I also took that opportunity to refine the shape a little better.

Todd
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

That's great, Todd, much better. Glad he came around; probably had his friends at the club ribbing him about the turquoise.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker