rusticated 55

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

rusticated 55

Post by andrew »

This was just finished for someone just before we went to the coast. Let me know what you think. The rustication did what it nearly always does for me, leaked where I didn't want it to. So Wayne, be warned, this will set off your OCD like toothpicks dropped on a diner floor.
I was thinking of you while I tried to get it out, but it's black man, it's black.... As always, let me know what you think. I know 55's tend to be a love-hate thing, so if the 55 just isn't your bag then... too bad. :) Here it is:

Just for reference, it's 5.5" long with a 7/8" chamber.

Thank you for any feedback.
Cory

Re: rusticated 55

Post by Cory »

0. Looks good.

1. That rustication makes me think of a carbon flavored rock candy pop. I dig it.

2. The slight bend (or appearance of one) in the stem irritates me for some reason. I think it conflicts with the sharp boxiness of the rustication and the straight bottom of the bowl. If it is just the photo then never mind or if it is a '55' thing, then never mind.

3. I think the transition from the black-grayish bowl to brown shank to black stem is clashing. Also it draws your eye to the small piece of brown shank, which detracts from the overall aesthetics of the pipe. I would like it much better if it was full rusticated or fully stained black.

Then again, what the heck do I know?
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Growley

Post by Growley »

I'm on the "dislike" side of the camp when it comes to this style, so I won't comment on it's execution. But, I do really like the rustication. Looks nice and chunky.

Great work on the pipe.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

My work is done here. :D
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Did you remember to sand out the cham.....oh wait, nevermind.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Like the rustication, nice job Andrew!