#7 Rhodesian (First Rusticated)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

#7 Rhodesian (First Rusticated)

Post by Cory »

So, I now know two things: rhodesian without access to lathe sucks and rustication is just as painstakingly detailed as smooth.

But, I think it turned out well. Am I missing something as far as finishing a rusticated? Do I have to shellac it or did I just do it wrong on my buffs?

3/4" chamber, 5/32" airway, 1/4" delrin tenon, Lucite stem, Grecian briar....yadayada - if you want specifics, ask.

As far as rustication. I made this little nail tool. I ground a large nail (so that it was like a chisel) then I did the same grinding procedure to three smaller nails. I welded the three smaller nails to the larger one (chisel edge aligned radially). Worked pretty well I think.

As always, I am looking for honest and real critiques. You won't hurt my feelings, I promise. Getting better is my goal, and making pipes and getting critique is the only way to achieve it!

Here are pictures:

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
d.huber

Re: #7 Rhodesian (First Rusticated)

Post by d.huber »

Not bad at all. If I had to pick two things, I'd say remove more material and try to get your shank/stem transition smooth and gap-less. All in all, nice pipe!

Quick question: did the drilling wind up a tad low on this one? It looks as if the airway ends a touch beneath the chamber.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I think the bowl needs a little more shaping to it. It just looks very bowl heavy. Also there are some wavy lines running up and down the shank and stem. (I'm one to talk. My last pipe had the same problem :lol: )

Rhodesians and bulldogs are tough shapes to do, especially so early on. I think you did a pretty good job with it. Now go make another!
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I think the rustication turned out well but I do agree it's a bit heavy. To my taste, rustication looks best when combined with smooth areas that together reinforce the geometry of the pipe and more than most, bulldogs seem to need a crisp expression of the bowl to come into focus. Don't know if you can figure out how to do that with the tools you have but if you do, let me know. As much as I like bulldogs and would love to make one, I just figured it was out of my reach without a lathe.

Like your color palette and with the introduction of some more mid-tone smooth I think it could really come together.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

I agree with the post above the bowl does look a bit heavy and more material can be taken off. But i do like the rustication on the pipe also the transition on the shank to the stem needs to be sanded together a bit more. Overall a good looking pipe for a rhodesian. Keep up the good work and keep making more pipes cory.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

In regards to taking more material off the bowl. Let me tell you the one specific idea that came to my mind. After your cap, or top of the bowl, it looks like your line just drops straight down for a bit before it curves. This gives it a more boxy look. If you started tapering your bowl in right after where cap, or rings would be, it will give it a much more curvy rhodesian look.

That's my opinion anyway...

Brian.