Fat Poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brurobas

Fat Poker

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon guys,

This time i tried a fat poker shape. The drilling is a bit of center and the colour of the wood is a bit lighter on the top of the bowl so i decided to keep this one to myself.

It's a shame about the colour diference but i think the grain is great. Could this be caused by a poor curation and drying process of the wood?

Regards

Bruno
mightysmurf8201

Re: Fat Poker

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

That is some pretty awesome grain. The most noticeable thing that I'm seeing with this pipe is that the side with the shank begins to slope out towards the shank well before the shank begins. I'm not super experienced with pipe makeing, but of all the pipes I have done, all but 2 have been cherrywoods or pokers. The bowl needs to be perfectly cylindrical as if the shank was not even there. This takes some time and attention to detail to line up the planes above and below the shank, but it is worth the effort in the end.
As for the color difference in the wood, I couldn't tell you the cause of that. I've had the same thing on one of my blocks and the pipe it produced smokes great.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/