#029 Freehand black bamboo dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

#029 Freehand black bamboo dublin

Post by pzhan »

Another black bamboo pipe. :D

d.huber

Re: #029 Freehand black bamboo dublin

Post by d.huber »

This is my favorite of the two. Great work!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Fantastic! I love the individual shapes, the slight changes.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nice pipe. My only critique here would be the stain color. Did you mix black and yellow? Looks a little :mrgreen: - ish...
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I think you're making great pipes, but two things on this guy: that shank/bowl junction needs to be tightened up, and the stain is... unfortunate. The bowl is great though - I like the shaping a lot.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Ernie. Another suggestion I would add is to make sure your sitters are perfectly flat on bottom so they don't rock backwards. The result is a much more stable sitter because of the added surface area.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

Like the others, the shape is great. It's a little busy. A lot of different colors. Black stem may have helped. This is just a personal thing, but matched rings tend to look better, whatever their design (imho).
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Thanks guys. :D
Growley wrote:Nice pipe. My only critique here would be the stain color. Did you mix black and yellow? Looks a little :mrgreen: - ish...
Maybe a little. :shock:
e Markle wrote:I think you're making great pipes, but two things on this guy: that shank/bowl junction needs to be tightened up, and the stain is... unfortunate. The bowl is great though - I like the shaping a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion. yes, maybe I should tight the junction a little.
And I will do some experiment about the stain, I always have issues with the combination, and some unexpected result. :banghead:
wdteipen wrote:I agree with Ernie. Another suggestion I would add is to make sure your sitters are perfectly flat on bottom so they don't rock backwards. The result is a much more stable sitter because of the added surface area.
Yes, you are totally right. it is not perfect flat at the bottom. :oops:
andrew wrote:Like the others, the shape is great. It's a little busy. A lot of different colors. Black stem may have helped. This is just a personal thing, but matched rings tend to look better, whatever their design (imho).
I will keep it simpler next time.. :mrgreen:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Out of curiosity, what are the objections to the stain? After a closer look, it appears that the finish isn't even across the pipe but as far as the color goes... I kinda like that the colors of the stummel echo some of the coloring in the bamboo. Maybe if the stem were black instead of cumberland the stain wouldn't be as objectionable?

Admittedly, if the stummel echoed the colors of the stem instead of the bamboo, the composition would look tighter. How wrong am I here?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

UberHuberMan wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the objections to the stain? After a closer look, it appears that the finish isn't even across the pipe...
The inconsistency of the stain is fairly significant to me. The other issue is the black+yellow=green equation that's always problematic. If you really have to have black and yellow you need to find a better combination than the usual stains we use. Aside from that, I'm not a fan of honey bee coloring on a pipe.