ND Pipes - P4612

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

ND Pipes - P4612

Post by ND Pipes »

ND pipes - P4612
This pipe was made using a piece of plateaux briar from Italy with walnut extension. Special order for my dear friend from Finland
She has five rings – two black acrylic rings, two tiny wooden ones and one apple wood ring in the middle.
Mouthpiece was made using an acrylic rod, turned on lathe to roughly shape it and finished by hand.
http://tnd-pipes.com/pipes/p4612/

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
maxmil

Re: ND Pipes - P4612

Post by maxmil »

All your works are wonderful.
Best regards.
Félix

Todos tus trabajos son magníficos.
Saludos.
Félix
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

:) thank you :P

wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Beautiful! I have always love the horn shape, but have never been able to pull one off, not really. This is amazing!

Being a newbie, I would love for you to describe how you attach/work the extensions. I am fiddling with that now, and not having great luck.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

make the surface flat....
i use french wheel to make the initial surface flat as much as i can, than i use a sheet of sanding paper (150 gradation for example) and a glass surface or any other surface that you can be sure it is flat enough.. put the paper over it and feel the surface you are sanding, how it is sitting on the paper and sand it down to become really flat... use the pencil and draw lines on that part you are sanding to check if everything will be sanded down perfectly... check on the flat surface how it is looking - if any gaps or something... it is hard to explain... everything is in hands and patience... :)
than, attach the metal sheet, the rest of the wooden parts prepared the same way... if they fit good enough, you are ready to glue them together...
but, before doing that, drill the 10mm hole inside all the parts and use a wooden plug to connect all the pieces while glueing them... this will ensure the connection that will last...
it is hard to explain just with words...
i will have to make a photo essay how to do that... and pictures will tell everything...
i will try to find some time to do that...
please be patient.. :)

wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

ND Pipes wrote:make the surface flat....
i use french wheel to make the initial surface flat as much as i can, than i use a sheet of sanding paper (150 gradation for example) and a glass surface or any other surface that you can be sure it is flat enough.. put the paper over it and feel the surface you are sanding, how it is sitting on the paper and sand it down to become really flat... use the pencil and draw lines on that part you are sanding to check if everything will be sanded down perfectly... check on the flat surface how it is looking - if any gaps or something... it is hard to explain... everything is in hands and patience... :)
than, attach the metal sheet, the rest of the wooden parts prepared the same way... if they fit good enough, you are ready to glue them together...
but, before doing that, drill the 10mm hole inside all the parts and use a wooden plug to connect all the pieces while glueing them... this will ensure the connection that will last...
it is hard to explain just with words...
i will have to make a photo essay how to do that... and pictures will tell everything...
i will try to find some time to do that...
please be patient.. :)
That would be great, but even your description is very enlightening! I have read many, many threads on the forum, how to attach, etc., but it seems much easier than I imagined from reading them.

Thanks so much! I love reading how folks do things, even how to get such incredible contrast staining! So much to work on. You do really great stuff!
Massis

Post by Massis »

The hard part is usually not getting a flat surface. The hard part is aligning multiple flat surfaces.
In this case the flat surfaces only have to be aligned along one axis, but on a traditional extension, all parts are usually coplanar discs, and it's the making them coplanar that I personally find really hard...

It's become A LOT easier since I've gotten my lathe :-D
The Drinking Yeti

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

Interesting take on the horn shape. I like it.
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

curved is also not a problem... you just need to be patient and work around it to get what you want.. :) :)
i will make that essay no problem.. i just need some time and a new pipe to make :)