Your favorite time saver

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Your favorite time saver

Post by Tyler »

As an off-shoot to my new discovery for the method of turning perfectly polished tenons, I have this question in hopes of adding to my bag of tricks.

What is your favorite time saving trick?

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Delrin tenons have turned out to be an absolutely incredible time saver.

Drilling/boring on a lathe with a scroll chuck has saved me, not only time, but blocks of briar as well.

The discovery of rough grits of micromesh saves me a lot of heartburn, and a little time. Since the grit is bonded to a flexible fabric, it froms itself to the shape of the pipe. It also leaves an excellent surface for the next higher grit - no gouging or edges eating in to the wood.

Rusticated panels take almost no time to complete. :wink:

I'm not keen on the use of disks in general, but I do use a padded 3" disk to clean up after rough shaping on the belt grider. With a 220-grit paper, I can easily get rid of all the 36 or 80 grit marks lickety-split.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

My favourite timesaver and acuracy tool on the lathe is a little presure clock wich mesures the inward movment of the cutter at 1/100 milimeter acuracy this is very handy when turning tennons...

and also the automatic feed of the lathe wich cuts the surface of the tennon equaling 600 grit smooth

also the lamb chuck in the lathe instead of a drillpress made me feel that it was not luck to strike perfect holes..
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
ToddJohnson

Re: Your favorite time saver

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tyler wrote:As an off-shoot to my new discovery for the method of turning perfectly polished tenons, I have this question in hopes of adding to my bag of tricks.

What is your favorite time saving trick?

Tyler
A giant fraising machine! . . . 8O

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

Buying finished pipes, sanding off the finish and nomenclature, refinishing, stamping, and voila! :wink:

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Todd and Jeff,

You two are not helping...

:P :P :P :P

Tyler
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

a great time saver i have discovered is drill bit stops from bitnbores. these
are not the plastic types.they have a metal collar w/ set screws that grip the bit. i have one for my 5/32" for the draught hole, one for my 5/16" for my mortise (set at 9/16 of an inch something i learned here and from measuring my fav pipes but this is not a set size for everyone just one that i like) and several for different 11/64 taper bits which i can set to open my fav bit #615 from tim west(something else i learned here). no more marks on the drill bits which i can t see anyway and no more guessing did i drill deep enough did i drill too short(where is my prozac i think i just stressed my meds to the max).

and the greatest time saver of all this forum
jim
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I just buy my pipes from Todd. Sames me allot of time :)

neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Finding a rotary tool that uses a miniature adjustable drill chuck instead of those damned collets, so it can grip *anything* with a round shaft between needles and heavy nails. Thus, it can grip and spin bits wrapped in sandpaper, pipecleaners loaded with compound, Q-tips cut in halves, and on and on. Handy!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/