Outside the Box

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
e Markle

Outside the Box

Post by e Markle »

I'm seeing more and more examples of pipes that are way outside the norm. As long as they're well executed, I can appreciate them, but they aren't the kind of pipes that I would buy. I'm curious to hear your opinions though. These are getting close to a point where it's very tough to evaluate aesthetically. It's really just what strikes your fancy. Nothing wrong with that, but it is difficult to assign value to them (not that it's easy in other parts of the pipe world). Your thoughts?

(BTW, note the zipper is free moving)

Ocelot55

Re: Outside the Box

Post by Ocelot55 »

If someone looks at pipes as a tool rather than art I can see how these types of designs would be frowned upon. To the "tool school," form should dictate function. What is important to them is a well engineered pipe, made out of excellent materials, to certain specifications. The actual shape should be ergonomic in the teeth and the hand and smoke cool. Artistic flourishes like the ones on these pipes serve no purpose.

On the opposite side of the perspective are those that see briar as just another type of medium in the world of art. These folks care most about how visually appealing the pipes are. Of course this is such a subjective evaluation and varies greatly from person to person that there can be no standard of what a well made pipe is.

I don't know if anyone actually puts complete stock in either mode of thinking. Most of us are some combination of the two. I REALLY dig the first one. Its obviously a well made pipe from what I can see: thin bit, good polish, crisp lines. Other than the wild crazy zipper, it looks pretty much like a normal pipe. The zipper is carved so well it really inspires awe. Its that slightly edgy aesthetic that I find really appealing.

The second pipe is not my cup of tea. I can appreciate the skill involved in carving it, and it too looks like a well made pipe. But it looks way to weird to be practical. Probably too heavy to clench, probably doesn't feel that appealing in the hand either. The carver is obviously really talented, but it is not something I would ever buy.

Long and convoluted answer I know, but that was my first impression. I guess that's how my mind works.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

How interesting.

Both of these seem really well executed and illustrate a clear command of their tools and materials. IMO, they both border on over conceptualization, but are very successful in communicating intent, so they pass that test. The ideas in these pieces are certainly good as an intellectual exercise and are impressive in terms of execution. However, they both seem more like museum pieces than like a pipe someone might walk around smoking.

What I like about them: they both discuss the process of creating a pipe and each in its own way. The first appears to comment on the artistic process in revealing the beauty in briar while the second appears to comment on the engineering process(to state the obvious). I have a personal reaction to each based on my own feelings about each part of the process which I think makes both extremely successful as pieces of art.

Together, they'd make a pretty cool set, but I doubt I'd smoke them, which, IMO, makes them unsuccessful as pipes.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
the rev

Post by the rev »

you want outside the box... this guy is so far outside the box he doesn't even know the box exists :)

http://www.tarock-briar.de/#Archiv

I love Christian's work and some day I will own one of these amazing pipes.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really appreciate this style of pipe as pieces of art. Not so much as pipes that are meant to be smoked although I'm sure they could be. To me, they cross the line from a practical smoking pipe into an artistic sculpture. It seems there's a spectrum in pipemaking that has functionality on one end and artistic expression on the polar opposite. On the functionality end you have pipes that have two holes that can burn tobacco but pay no attention to aesthetics. I imagine a predrilled briar block with a premolded stem stuck in it. The pipes you posted would be on/near the other end of the spectrum. Beautiful and artistic but not very practical. Most of us find our styles somewhere on that spectrum typically near the middle wheres there's a balance of both. When you move too far to one end of the spectrum then you make sacrifices in functionality or aesthetics depending on which direction you move.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

Outside the Box

Post by mredmond »

Nothing about either pipe strikes me as making them less practical than any other large/heavy pipe. Conceptually, they're interesting and clearly the maker has some skill. I'm particularly impressed by the zipper. I thought the pipe was covered in leather at first glance, so the concept was executed well. Aesthetically, I prefer a simpler approach in which the form does more of the talking than the adornment (at least where pipes are concerned) but having spent many years dabbling in a lot of different creative styles, I appreciate the attempt to incorporate non pipe elements into pipe making. I don't think I'll be doing it myself, but I'm ok with others exploring those ideas.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I love out of the box thinking, even in pipes. Seeing pipes like this helps me stretch my mind and inspire design. Of course they won't be for every one, but I certainly wouldn't mind having the talent to make some of those crazy pipes. I think I'd even prefer to smoke them as long as they smoked well.

To me though, the talent and execution still have to be there. You can't just make an ugly pipe and call it an art pipe. I'll probably keep a mix of moderate to "artsy" pipes in my carving agenda with more of them being at the practical end of the spectrum. At least that's where I'm at now...
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

The posted by Ernie pipes are made by Alexey Kharmalov. His traditional shape pipes are top notch and very well executed. Here is another pipe of his, not as out of the box as the two Ernie posted but very nice.

Here is a traditional shape;

I really like his work and just wanted to add to the post...
Michael Labo
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

I love out of the box pipes, just love 'em. And I suspect they would smoke as well as any other. After all, as long as the engineering is good, the air flow works, why wouldn't they?

Fascinating to me what the minds of men/women can imagine when looking at the very same briar block I have sitting in my workshop in the basement. I think, "what the hell! Never could have imagined that shape in there!"

Just my two cents. Would love to buy one and see how they smoke.
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Love the zipper pipe, it's different...I like that.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I like the zipper pipe and think it holds up very well aesthetically. The concept and execution on that is astounding. And I can certainly imagine smoking it. The second pipe just looks ugly to me. Hard to even believe it's the same maker. The reptile pipes look beautifully done, but don't appeal to me personally.

Some of Stephen Downey's and Trevor Talbert's pipes are certainly outside the box, as well as Nate King's steam punk pipes. Some appeal to me, some don't, but I think it's great to explore, especially once you have established the chops and some street cred. It can be done well, and it can be done poorly.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Both are very interesting for sure. The execution is... phenomenal. I personally cannot invision myself smoking any of them though. I think it's good for people to push the envelope, it helps keep fresh content in a very old tradition. For me though, I think pipes still need to exude some sense of "pipeness". For my personal taste, they need to still scream "smoke me" no matter how outside the box they are.

That being said, I constantly am trying to think outside the box. I think these pipes are all phenomenal, they just aren't my cup of espresso.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
the rev

Post by the rev »

Image how is this for outside the box? and for all purposes it looks like it would smoke well... maybe not fit in your hand too well though

rev

The Smoking Yeti

See, I find it def. outside the box. But somehow it doesn't speak to me with "pipe-ness" Pipe-ness is hard to really explain. I think Neill does a great job here: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... eness.html

However, despite what he says, I still like beautiful pipes. I just want them to have a sense of pipeness about them.

I would go further with what he says though. I think pipes at there best are an extension of the smoker. Put simply, some people look better with certain pipes.

For me, I know I've succeeded when a.) The customer is happy b.) The pipe smokes excellently and c.) Somehow the pipe acts as an extension of the owner. The things the pipe characterizes accentuate and complement characteristics of the owner.

Lets be honest though, part "c" is pretty damn difficult to maintain and a bit subjective- I'll probably never truly "succeed". But hey- might as well keep trying!

the rev

Post by the rev »

pipeness will be to everyone a different thing. I find Wally's pipes to be very pipelike, but way out of the box as well. Christian at Tarock Briar makes some that have a bit more "pipeness" and some that have no pipeness. I must admit I would prefer one that did have more of the pipeness as I must smoke whatever I buy. I prefer the more organic shapes however, and though I appreciate the artistry of the zipper pipe, and the drill pipe, and even the iguana pipes, to me they are contrived. They are making pipes look like something else, rather than allowing a piece of briar to become something that is still briar, and still a pipe but very organically different. I know what I mean, but I am not sure I can explain it. As far as the form vs function... if it doesn't smoke well it isn't a pipe, its a sculpture. I don't want to make sculptures, I want to make pipes, so there will always be that constant in my work. A stable foundation from which to build on.

rev

The Smoking Yeti

I think you and I are on the same vein. And yes, pipeness is definitely different for each person. I think when you're new to pipemaking it's important to train your hands with classic shapes. keeping designs in a realm where examples can be found and critique can be made. After "training your hands" so to speak, and developing a solid foundation, you'll have a good basis to work outside the box with.

I think TJ addresses a lot of this thinking in his sticky-ed post "pipe alchemy".

All this said, I love unique and original pipes. It's something I strive for in my own work, and respect in others.