Briar Calabash with Removable Bowl

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
WCannoy

Briar Calabash with Removable Bowl

Post by WCannoy »

I was asked by a friend last Monday night to make a briar calabash as a Christmas gift for his father. A little last minute, but ok...
I called Tim at JH Lowe on Tuesday morning as I had no briar wide enough for a calabash of this size. Tim kindly hand picked a few blocks for me and got 'em in the mail that same day.
The briar arrived on Friday, which happed to be day two of what would become a four-day "bed ridden with severe flu symptoms" nightmare. By Sunday night, I had decided to try to start this pipe. I got to the point of trying to do some lathe turning, but I was in a cold medicine stupor and quickly decided that operating the lathe in this condition was dangerous, so it got put on hold again.
On Christmas eve, I forced myself to work all day on it, stopping only to do some last minute Christmas shopping which I had also neglected to do while I was sick! By the end of the night, it was almost done. All that was left was to finish sanding and polishing the stem, but I was so exhausted and still feeling loopy that I had no choice but to quit for the night.
I spent Christmas day with my family after letting the customer know that the pipe would not be finished. He assured me that it would be ok as a "late" Christmas gift. I got up this morning, made my coffee, and got the stem sanded and polished.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 660&type=1
JonBood

Re: Briar Calabash with Removable Bowl

Post by JonBood »

Very nice!
Hope you're feeling better from the flue!
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Awesome!
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Excellent pipe!
By chance do you have any pics with the bowl off so we can have a peek at the guts?
Hope you are better.
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

oklahoma red wrote: By chance do you have any pics with the bowl off so we can have a peek at the guts?
Ohhhh, no... I didn't get any good pics of the insides. I'll have to remember to do that next time! I only have this one that I snapped on my phone while it was on the bench...
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Interesting. Since we cannot see up under the flange of the bowl, do you have an O-ring there or is it all a friction fit, wood to wood?
If there is no O-ring is there any chance of the bowl splitting the thin wall shell if it expands with heat?
Nice execution regardless.
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

[quote="oklahoma red"]Since we cannot see up under the flange of the bowl, do you have an O-ring there or is it all a friction fit, wood to wood?quote]

In the tradition of the gourd calabash, I fitted it with a cork seal.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Another question or two if I may. Does the contour of the interior of the shell reasonably match the outer contour of the briar insert or is the shell pretty much all hollowed out for a true "calabash effect"? If it is all hollowed out did you accomplish that on the lathe with bowl tools or scrapers or ????
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

oklahoma red wrote:Another question or two if I may. Does the contour of the interior of the shell reasonably match the outer contour of the briar insert or is the shell pretty much all hollowed out for a true "calabash effect"? If it is all hollowed out did you accomplish that on the lathe with bowl tools or scrapers or ????
Chas.
I hollowed it out on the lathe as far down as possible, mostly with a round nose scraper. Down where it starts to curve, I went at it with the dremel for a little more depth, then drilled the draft hole as usual from the mortise end.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put one of these on my list of challenges to try, tho in a smaller version so I don't have to search for huge blocks. One would need a strong jaw to hole this sucker up. :lol:
Chas.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

super nice pipe.. love it :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Rock star status in my book Walt! Love the rustication as well. Did you use a special homemade tool for it or a combination of things?

Thank you for sharing!
Michael Labo
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

MonsieurLabo wrote:Rock star status in my book Walt! Love the rustication as well. Did you use a special homemade tool for it or a combination of things?

Thank you for sharing!
Thanks Michael! I don't know how to explain my rustication process other that to say that I basicly torture the briar with a Dremel #105 cutter... :D
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories ... px?pid=105