DGE Bent Briar Nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
dgerwin11

DGE Bent Briar Nosewarmer

Post by dgerwin11 »

OK, you asked for it, you got it.

There is really no need to discuss the problem with the sides of the shank. It was a moment of carelessness with the band saw. Normally I would just smoke it rough. But I am hoping the rest is good enough for you to give me an honest evaluation. As to hurting my feelings, Sas tried and failed on another forum to do that. But seriously, pick away.

Oh, I don't stain and I don't rusticate. If the pits do not affect the integrity of the pipe, they stay. If they are a problem, it goes in the stove or my rotation.

Some one please address the bend in the stem. Should the plane of the top of the bowl and the plane of the mouth piece be parallel?ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The stem is a premold with Delrin tenon. 4 1/4" long, 1 7/8" tall. Bowl 3/4" X 1 1/2"
Massis

Re: DGE Bent Briar Nosewarmer

Post by Massis »

As I always say: I'm no expert, but...

I can see several things I consider to be wrong with this pipe.
First of all: the mouthpiece has a sideways bend in it as far as I can see, I have no idea where it came from, but my guess is that when bending it you also pulled it to the left. Bad idea...
Next, the bottom of the stummel drops far below the line of the pipe, if the chamber allows it, I would suggest removing quite a bit more wood from the bottom side.
Also, there seems to be something wrong in the general lines. I think it's because the top of the stummel is at a steep angle to the shank, while the walls of the stummel would suggest a straight pipe. Combine this with the bent mouthpiece and you get a pipe that confuses me.
Lastly, the stummel could use a bit more curving on the sides, they're a bit too straight to my liking.

On the bright side, your stummel seems to be nice and symmetrical and nicely round. The overall proportions seem pretty good for a nosewarmer as well.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Actually, there is no sideways bend to the stem. In the view from the back, I was not lined up straight. In the view from the top, the uneven shaping of the shank causes it to look bent.

Are you suggesting it be more apple shaped? Also, I am confused by what you mean about the top of the stummel being at a sharp angle to the shank.

Thanks for your input.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

What shape were you aiming for? It appears that you were going for a straight billiard nose warmer, but missed. I'm not a classics guy, but I'll toss in a few things.

1. The bend in the stem is too severe. Next time, try heating the entire stem so you can achieve a continuous line with the bend instead of creating a kink.
2. If the pipe is supposed to be bent, then the shank should follow the lower line of the pipe by tilting upwards and away from the bowl. If you were aiming for a bent, you're on the right track!
3. If the pipe is supposed to be straight, then the stem should be straight and you'll need to remove more wood from the lower line of the pipe.
4. The angle of the rim is too severely tilted towards the smoker, which I think is what Massis was referring to.
5. It looks like your stem/shank junction is pretty close to being very good, but there appears to be a gap.
6. I bet a nice contrast stain would really make the grain pop. :thumbsup: :wink:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Uber

The pictures don't show it real well, but it is roughly quarter bent.

Also it does not show well in the picture, but when I clench it, the bowl tilts away from me. That was why asked about if the planes of the bowl and mouth piece should be parallel.

I don't do staining. I like the natural look with a good carnuba finish.

Next time I post a bent I guess I need to prop up the stem.

Thanks for the ideas to shoot for.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Is the slot cut lopsided on that stem?

Anyways, I think most of the criticism has been hit on- all I have to say, is keep at it! Make 50 more! See where you are then :D

P.s. A contrast stain would rock.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Jos

Post by Jos »

Quite nice overall, but with some issues to work up.
It is sure bottom-heavy, but gracefully swung, so I'd accept that.
You can do well without a staining as long as the grain is great - this grain isn't, so go ahead and stain it.
Your stem looks somewhat thickish and edgy - file some off, heat it up and try to bend it more elegantly.
I, too, would recommend to open up the slot a little more, yours looks very tight.
And one or two points could be said about the art of signing - there's nothing wrong about signing with some
carving tool, dremel, or stuff, but next time, try on some other piece of wood before you ruin your pipe ...

Jens
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Same pipe, different camera angles. Slightly different lines. There is no getting around the waist I cut in the shank, but I tried to take heed of the advice so far.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I thought I'd left too much onthe back of the bowl so I filed that down a little. Does it look better to yo now?