Curing cherry and apple wood

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
phmann

Curing cherry and apple wood

Post by phmann »

I have the opportunity to harvest some black cherry and apple wood. I plan on keeping branches and twigs for projects/stem work, but how should I go about drying/curing it well enough to function as a bowl? Do I boil it like briar after its harvested or just let it dry?

Also, some of the apple is already dried outside. Does that change anything?
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
Gershom

Re: Curing cherry and apple wood

Post by Gershom »

First thing you need to do is send a big load of it to me. After that, I have no idea. :twisted:

Hope this helps.

Jon
taharris

Post by taharris »

I am currently doing an experiment with Olive.

With green wood I cut a block about 2"x2"x3" and drilled a draft hole and a tobacco chamber.

Then I boiled the block for 3-4 hours and let the block and water cool gradually.

The next day I took the block out of the water and wrapped it in a brown paper bag, leaving a hole for the bowl.

After a few weeks I removed the paper bag and taped up the end grain.

Again, I let it set for a few weeks in by basement before bringing it upstairs. It is a little drier up stairs.

After a few more weeks I removed the tape from the end grand and have been letting it air dry.

When I get around to it I will test the moisture. I don't believe it is quite dry enough yet.

The point is that if you boil green wood you weaken the wood fibers enough so that if you dry very very slowly you can sometimes get them dry without cracking.

It is a painfully slow process, but if you are patient you may get some good blocks.

Some points to keep in mind: Make sure the pith is cut away from the block you are trying to dry. Keep an eye on the block as it dries and use CA glue if you note any small cracks forming.

Good Luck,

Todd
phmann

Post by phmann »

Thanks a lot, I'm going to give it a try!
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com