"E" pipes

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

"E" pipes

Post by oklahoma red »

The so-called E-cigs seem to be the fad dejour and E-pipes are starting to show up. I know of at least one high-end pipe maker that is about to stick his toe in the pool.
Of course the purists will howl but an emerging market is apparently there waiting to be tapped. Any opinions?
Chas.
the rev

Re: "E" pipes

Post by the rev »

I have thought about it, would need to learn a lot more, right now I am happy to just learn one thing.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

This is the first I've heard of an E-pipe, and after poking around google a bit, I don't like it. I don't like it at all. What's the point? You want to smoke a pipe without smoking a pipe?

Nonsense! Rubbish! This E-Pipe is no pipe at all! It's just something that looks like a pipe but does something completely different. There is not the first hint of true pipesmoking experience there.

Disappointed. Highly disappointed... Mostly about the fact that some pipe "connoisseurs" are considering this as an alternative, on the same level as a traditional briar pipe.

E-Pipes have no place in this forum!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

WCannoy wrote:This is the first I've heard of an E-pipe, and after poking around google a bit, I don't like it. I don't like it at all. What's the point? You want to smoke a pipe without smoking a pipe?

Nonsense! Rubbish! This E-Pipe is no pipe at all! It's just something that looks like a pipe but does something completely different. There is not the first hint of true pipesmoking experience there.

Disappointed. Highly disappointed... Mostly about the fact that some pipe "connoisseurs" are considering this as an alternative, on the same level as a traditional briar pipe.

E-Pipes have no place in this forum!
+1 ive never heard about anybody trying to wheen themselves of a pipe. it sounds outlandish and silly. smoke a PIPE or dont smoke one. no middle ground here.
CACooper

Post by CACooper »

I feel about "E" cigs, cigars and pipes the same way I feel about electric cars and motorcycles: NOT interested and NEVER will be interested. Ever.

I love internal combustion when it comes to my pipe or motor vehicle, especially motorcycles. I guess I'm just old school. Or just old.

CACooper
andrew

Post by andrew »

What's the point? No tamping, lighting, filling (wait, you need to replace cartridges). It's not a pipe. If I don't get to burn something, what's the point, really?
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

The only time I can see it was appropriate is at a bar or other establishment where smoking is prohibited but you absolutely feel like smoking. It just wouldn't be the same. In that case I usually roll a few "handies" and brave the elements.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

OK, so far everyone has expressed their personal opinions about E pipes. Fair to say that if someone stuck one in your mouth while lying dead in your casket you'd roll over and spit it out.
Now, let's look from a different angle. There are those out there that are already making an ass-load of money from the the E cig craze. The E pipe (and E cigar) probably will not be as big since pipe and cigar smoking is way behind cigs. But, this is marketing 101: if there is a demand, fill it. They cannot be that hard to figure out how to make (obviously, since it has already been done). Now, does one think "since I'm already a pipe maker I want to strike while the iron is hot and make some money." Or, "I'll be damned if I'm going to prostitute myself, my skills and my principles just to make a buck." One has to wonder how many millions were made from Pet Rocks?
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I'll be damned if I'm going to prostitute myself, my skills and my principles just to make a buck. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I've walked out on better paying jobs than pipemaking simply because I didn't like what I was doing.

In my eyes, there is no connection between making fine briar tobacco pipes and making e-pipes. I don't make hookahs, bongs, lamps, airplanes, or dresses either. Making a pipe that is not a tobacco pipe does not interest me in the slightest bit, and has been added to the long list of jobs that I might be perfectly capable of doing and might pay well, but just will not do.
Charl

Post by Charl »

No!
phmann

Post by phmann »

I've tried the e cigs from friends and they're really tasty. Plus you can smoke them anywhere. They don't fall under any tobacco or smoking laws technically. An e pipe isn't supposed to be the same experience, but don't knock til you've tried it. I have wondered myself how hard it would be to make one...
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

phmann wrote:An e pipe isn't supposed to be the same experience
Exactly.

This thread should be in the off-topic category.

Me thinks I'll start making drinking straws. Technically, they are pipes. They are used to draw tasty substances into your face hole to enjoy. As with e-pipes, that is the only similarity they share with tobacco pipes.

E-pipes are not pipes. They can have their own forum!

Sheesh! And people wonder why the "big boys" aren't more involed around here. Wading through this non-pipe related crap is a waste of time...
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I can read between the lines. I'm just trying to get people to express their opinions. That is part of what the Forum is all about.
I personally would not use an E pipe. Nor do I have any intention of making them. I'm having enough issues with the real thing.
In deference to Walt (and anyone else that is deeply offended by the mere mention of E pipe under the General Topic), I respectfully request that Kurt move this thread to Off Topic with my apologies.
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

oklahoma red wrote:Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I can read between the lines. I'm just trying to get people to express their opinions. That is part of what the Forum is all about.
I personally would not use an E pipe. Nor do I have any intention of making them. I'm having enough issues with the real thing.
In deference to Walt (and anyone else that is deeply offended by the mere mention of E pipe under the General Topic), I respectfully request that Kurt move this thread to Off Topic with my apologies.
Chas.
You hit the nail on the head! I am deeply offended by the mere mention of the E-pipe! The idea of it is fine on its own, but placed beside what we do, what we make, the E-pipe is sacrilege! It's just not a pipe! It might as well be a juicer in the shape of a pipe. Apples and oranges...

And Chas, please don't think I am directing any disdain toward you personally! If you ask me an hour from now who had which opinion on this thread, I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head.

We can still be friends! :thumbsup:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

We can still be friends!
Absolutely!
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

oklahoma red wrote:Of course the purists will howl...
Chas.
Hey, you knew this was coming! :lol:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Hey, you knew this was coming!
With a sheepish grin, I confess.
I just like to poke the sleeping bear with a stick now and then, stir up some shit and get everyone's juices flowing.
A brilliant idea: Kurt, why don't you invite MM back in! LMAO!! We need some excitement around here.
Chas.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

oklahoma red wrote: A brilliant idea: Kurt, why don't you invite MM back in! LMAO!! We need some excitement around here.
Chas.
Is there a smiley code for a guy impaling himself on a sword?
mredmond
Site Supporter

"E" pipes

Post by mredmond »

I don't think there would be much of a market for e-pipes and e-cigars amongst pipe and cigar smokers, because of how we enjoy our pipes and cigars. They make non-alcoholic beer, but I don't recall ever seeing non-alcoholic single malt scotch. E-cigarettes have become as popular as they have because many people perceive them as a smoking cessation aid. That won't transfer to pipes and cigars in quite the same way.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

WCannoy wrote:
oklahoma red wrote: A brilliant idea: Kurt, why don't you invite MM back in! LMAO!! We need some excitement around here.
Chas.
Is there a smiley code for a guy impaling himself on a sword?
The "stinking ebonite" thread was a classic.
Chas.