The Pipe of Fire and Water

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
meathod

The Pipe of Fire and Water

Post by meathod »

The bowl of this pipe is crafted from African blackwood and black cherry, with an accent band of canary wood. The shank is accented with blue coral (water) which is contrasted by the red padauk wood (fire) on the mouthpiece.

The bamboo stem is fitted with a steel band where it meets the shank.

The pattern cut into the top of the bowl mimics ripples on the surface of water, and the mouthpiece is inlaid with a single flame in gold powder.

Comments/critique welcome and appreciated!

Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Re: The Pipe of Fire and Water

Post by wisemanpipes »

dan/meathod,
cool and super original like all of your other work. i envy your creative mind. thought id put my two cents in and say, although this is a very complex pipe to create, it shows very simple and elegant lines which i really enjoy. when im bored i love checking out the thread with your photo essay on the swiss guides pipe. beautiful!
-evan

ps. checked out your site and it says you have 905 area code. are you from southern ontario originally?
meathod

Post by meathod »

wisemanpipes wrote:dan/meathod,
cool and super original like all of your other work. i envy your creative mind. thought id put my two cents in and say, although this is a very complex pipe to create, it shows very simple and elegant lines which i really enjoy. when im bored i love checking out the thread with your photo essay on the swiss guides pipe. beautiful!
-evan

ps. checked out your site and it says you have 905 area code. are you from southern ontario originally?
Wow, thanks! Very kind words. I'm glad that someone is still able to get something out of that pictorial I made!

And I am Originally from Burlington, but I am living just north of Huntsville now, near the border of Algonquin Park.

wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ahhhh very cool! it has been great inspiration to me. you have such a unique style ive never seen anyone do. its quite amazing. im more of a briar pipe guy, mainly because what you do is so detailed and labour intensive, i dont have the patients or lol.
im from hamilton(stoney creek) but i have a cottage up in a town called Dorset near there which i stay at in the summer when im not working/ weekends. whats the town called. im fairly knowledgeble about the area.
meathod

Post by meathod »

Oh cool! I like Hamilton, the industrial skyline is beautiful to me for some reason...

I'm in a town called Kearney.

wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

lol glad YOU like it. its a fucking dump. but its my dump:D
and yes i know that area. by the 518. never been there but very cool!
-evan
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

best exotic wood store in canada is in burlington too bad its a bit of drive from manitoba
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

futodugouts wrote:best exotic wood store in canada is in burlington too bad its a bit of drive from manitoba
ahhh my friend you couldnt be more wrong. cambridge ontario has an absolutely amazing wood store called a&m wood specialties. i was turned onto it by michael parks and it hasnt dissapointed. ive been to both an definitly would rather go to a&m woods, not to say exotic woods is lack luster.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

good to know i'll be talking with them for my next order. exotic-woods has a great website and prices but they can be slow to send out an order

i can get some exotics locally at windsor plywood but they're just bringing it in from a larger store at retail and adding on their regular markup.. seems most of the cost for wood is freight and exotic wood closer to the coast can be had at much more reasonable per bf

meathod where do you pick up your exotics with all these awesome stores nearby?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

. . . and one golden sperm!

Nice pipe. I think it'd be cool to see what you could do with briar and ebonite.

TJ
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

ToddJohnson wrote:. . . and one golden sperm!

Nice pipe. I think it'd be cool to see what you could do with briar and ebonite.

TJ
What Todd said! :D
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
meathod

Post by meathod »

futodugouts wrote: meathod where do you pick up your exotics with all these awesome stores nearby?
Exotic-Woods in Burlington. Great prices, large selection. I've never been anywhere else though...

I also harvest the black cherry from the woods.
ToddJohnson wrote: Nice pipe. I think it'd be cool to see what you could do with briar and ebonite.
TJ
I'm not familiar with what those words mean, what is briar? Ebonite?

:lol: