PIMO....

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
flea1

PIMO....

Post by flea1 »

I just ordered my first kit and the PIMO book...anybody know approx how long it takes to get stuff from PIMO. Are they fairly quick.

Also...will I need the PIMO tool for the kit?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

The kit should have a drilled tobacco chamber, draught hole and mortise. It should also have a fitted stem. All you should need to do is shape it and finish it.

After they acknowledge your order, it should not take more than a couple of days to get your stuff.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Awesome! I can not wait...I am so pumped about this. I visit this site and other pipemaker sites every day. I just hope my first pipe can be smoked and looks good. This site has to be my favorite and the most helpful. Thanks
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I am sure your first pipe will turn out fine. Just remember you can always take away wood, but you can't put it back. I agree, this site is great. Everybody is very helpful.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

flea1, if you order the "kit" everything but the shapeing is done. If you like you can fill it up & start smoking just the raw block.. I did on my 2nd. You don't do anything to the inside.
Well some do, but just get the outside right first, then you can think about coating the inside.
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Yeah...I am pretty fricken excited. I can't wait to have my first smoke from it (that's if it turns out). So what can you use for the inside of the smoke chamber...if you are not oil curing it?
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Yeah...I am pretty fricken excited. I can't wait to have my first smoke from it (that's if it turns out). So what can you use for the inside of the smoke chamber...if you are not oil curing it?
jeff

Post by jeff »

flea1 wrote:Yeah...I am pretty fricken excited. I can't wait to have my first smoke from it (that's if it turns out). So what can you use for the inside of the smoke chamber...if you are not oil curing it?
Tobacco.

That is to say, unless you are selling commercially, I wouldn't worry about it.

JG
flea1

Post by flea1 »

So I not gonna damage the inside? you're saying just leave it untouched inside and nothing needs to be applied on the inside?
jeff

Post by jeff »

You got it. Just don't try to smoke the whole bowl in 10 minutes. :naughty: :) Plenty of pipemakers don't treat their bowls.

JG
flea1

Post by flea1 »

So when I pack my first few bowls, should I only fill it half way? I read some where you shouldn't fill the bowl until after 15-20 smokes.
Nick

Post by Nick »

The half bowl break-in thing is worthwhile if you think you might not smoke the whole bowl through in one sitting. The reason for the half bowl is to get an good and even cake on th bottom of the bowl. If you know you can smoke it all the way down in one sitting, then a whole bowl is fine. I break most of my pipes in with half bowls mainly because its a reminder to smoke slowly.
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Cool...thanks man!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:
flea1 wrote:Yeah...I am pretty fricken excited. I can't wait to have my first smoke from it (that's if it turns out). So what can you use for the inside of the smoke chamber...if you are not oil curing it?
Tobacco.

That is to say, unless you are selling commercially, I wouldn't worry about it.

JG
Even if you *are* selling in the retail market, I wouldn't worry about it. Oil curing is one of those fringe things that very few people are really interested in, and even fewer understand.

Fill it with tobacco and smoke it. PIMO's briar is decent briar, you won't have any problems.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com