First briar handcarved pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
d.huber

Re: First briar handcarved pipe

Post by d.huber »

Ccoolee wrote:Yeah huber I'm not known for spelling. I have not purchased pimos book. Because, I prefer to hunt for information on line that is how I ended up here. I suggest it incase a fella like the feel of paper or learns better that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries concerning spelling. Just making sure the correct info is out there. :)

I see your point about wanting to have something in front of you to read and learn from, but the PIMO book does not offer the quality or amount of information located here (not even close). The PIMO book is to PMF as "See Jane Run" is to "War and Peace." I just don't see the point in purchasing it if you've already found the forum.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

lancefisher51 wrote: Now please explain to me what about this pipe looks that bad?
Eh... You don't want an actual answer to that do you ??
Honestly I don't think anyone here has much said what they actually think. There's no real reason to. It's the first pipe you've made. You are enthusiastic about it. You plan to make more. Saying things that sound insulting is no way to encourage someone who is new.
But, don't keep making pipes that look like this.
Everything is wrong with it.
If I didn't tell you that, you might never know. I am telling you so you can learn.
The good news is, you can take the information you have quickly learned here and make the next one better.
You didn't know anything when you made this one. Now you know that pipes should (ideally) have stems.
Now you know that searching these forums will give you most of the answers you need.
Need to find out how to make stems ? Theres an entire forum on stem work. Dig deep.
All of the answers are here, just keep reading.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Huber I fully understand what you mean. I'm thankful you guys are willing to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Toenail Fungus?

I'll fungus you, Weaver. Brewing up a big batch for Chicago and you can have some.

FWIW Lance, Alden's post is bang on. No harm meant, we're not here to beat you up or run you through some kind of initiation. But this is a place where we make a very specific instrument mostly in very specific ways. If you want help with that, we're here. If you want to carve folk-art, hash-pipes, or basically anything else outside of either English or Danish pipe traditions, you'll find very little here except mild abuse, much of it actually not directed at you or your work - this forum also seems to exist such that pipe makers who know each other can bang each other on the head and make honking noises.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Toenail Fungus?

I'll fungus you, Weaver. Brewing up a big batch for Chicago and you can have some.
Sas,
Sincere apologies, but I just couldn't help myself.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Too late! I'm keepin my toes warm and wet for the next 3 months.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

No worries. I love criticism. I understand that my first pipe is use up to par. Lets just wait an see what the next one brings :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:Toenail Fungus?

FWIW Lance, Alden's post is bang on. No harm meant, we're not here to beat you up or run you through some kind of initiation. But this is a place where we make a very specific instrument mostly in very specific ways. If you want help with that, we're here. If you want to carve folk-art, hash-pipes, or basically anything else outside of either English or Danish pipe traditions, you'll find very little here except mild abuse, much of it actually not directed at you or your work - this forum also seems to exist such that pipe makers who know each other can bang each other on the head and make honking noises.
BTW Todd, your honking noises have gotten much better. I can tell you've been working on them.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard