Petite Lumberman

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jthompson1995

Petite Lumberman

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I know the name sounds like an oxymoron, but hey, it is what it is. Honestly this came from a really small ebauchon and that's as big as the bowl could be from the block. The chamber is only 5/8" dia so it will have to be for a short smoke.

This was my first attempt at a "billiard" type and oval shank and I am please with how it came out. Acrylic stem with delrin tenon.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
sandahlpipe

Re: Petite Lumberman

Post by sandahlpipe »

Overall, a pretty good attempt! The lumberman is a pretty difficult shape to pull off.

It looks like the crease behind the button needs to be sanded and buffed a bit more. This can be achieved by pressing sandpaper with your fingernails up to the button. Also, the button is a bit thick and appears thicker on one side than the other when looking from the top or bottom. The same thing would go for the saddle. It looks like the start of the saddle isn't 100% parallel with the shank face.

It may be a matter of taste, but I would probably try to make the saddle curve a bit steeper and the bite surface a bit flatter, making it more clear where the bite zone ends and the saddle starts. I would also recommend making the start of the saddle a bit sharper, rather than rounded over. You could probably take a little bit of material off the bite surface as well.

It also looks like there's a very slight bump between the stem and shank. I would suspect that you could feel it with your fingers. I can't tell from these pictures whether there is a hairline gap between shank face and stem, but it appears that there may be one.

Keep up the good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Petite Lumberman

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Some good tips already. I will add that the stem taper (from the top view) looks like two different angles or maybe A curve. If the sides of the stem are going to be tapered it should be a sharp deliberate line. The same thing goes for the button. It is very rounded. The lines should be crisp. Everything J.S said applies for me too. nice job.