Straight Billard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Re: Straight Billard

Post by Alden »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I think the bevel is a matter of taste, but I wouldn't say Tyler is wrong even if you disagree.
My thoughts on doing the bevel this way comes from Premal telling me everything should be domed, and then me doming everything and maybe not quite getting it right. I had done a Billiard with a dome that went all the way across the rim, but I didn't make it a subtle thing and I didn't like the look of it.
So I did this one with a half domed/half beveled rim that I think looks good, but I think what Tyler is describing with a more subtle curve would look good too.
The cant I think is a tad too much, but somehow everything I make is canted a lot, so I guess I just like it that way.
If this was more "classic" I think the cant is way too much, but I think a strong cant is part of the package on this pipe, part of what defines it as something different.
Lat, I appreciate your input. The shank started with a lot more taper that got blasted away. This is actually my second sandblast on my own equipment so I am still getting a feel for it and understanding how to compensate for the material thats getting removed.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Bah... the bevel's nice. Chonowitsch domes an apple and then that's the right way to do it for awhile. See also: reverse calabash, bamboo-on-everything etc.

I'll vote status quo on this one, I find the inward canted rim very appealing and I think it's a nice compliment to the rest of the bowl shape.
see also: shank rings + non-flush fitting stems. Those have their place too, but damn, occasionally you have to go back to the classic flush fit tapered stem, right?
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Btw Ryan, I got to see a few pipes of yours at Premal's and you've really stepped it up. Your work is looking great.

With all of these next level pipes popping up recently, the KC contest is going to be a real proving ground this year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
RadDavis wrote:Just because Tyler says so doesn't make it true. :P

Rad
It makes it true-ish, so back off! :fencing:
Aiight, den. I'll give you true-ish. Still don't make you right.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree that this pipe would be a real contender in the KC contest. Maybe one similar with a degree or two less cant and you'd have a winner. I, personally, like the cant but think a bit less would show better. I like the rim, too. I think any reasonable rim styling on a wide rim is better than a dead flat one. Flat works on thinner rims. I like the concave beveled rims as long as they are subtle like yours. A rounded rim is okay as long as it's subtle to my tastes but I like either. Very nice work, Ryan.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

That's a beaut! Love the cant--it can't do no wrong with me. Sorry, couldn't resist.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks !
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

I would love to throw a bunch of tobacco in there and use it.
Alden

Post by Alden »

deBeaupre wrote:I would love to throw a bunch of tobacco in there and use it.
The guy that bought it would probably sell it to you, for twice what I sold it to him for :lol:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Something about this pipe is off-putting to me, but I'm pretty drawn to the pipe at the same time. It's obviously well made and I agree with Tyler that it's a step above your previous work. Also, I agree that a bevel would have looked better. Overall, it's a pretty stinking cool pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad