Pipe number 9

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
i.keenum

Pipe number 9

Post by i.keenum »

So I started finished it mostly and the grain was pretty good but had a funny color fluctuation along the grain from the ring grain. Figured I'd stain it with some fiebings black dye ( which by the way is the devil :banghead: )to hide the funky but instead of hiding it it just accentuated it. So at this point do you think I should just sand the dye off and accept it as is, or do some kind of rustification? I could possibly send it off to be sand blasted , I've seen where a few that offer that service?

Right now I'm about halfway through getting the dye off but figured I'd ask before I put the work in of sanding it all down and back up to higher grits.

Sorry for the shitty photos guys.
Thanks for looking,
Ian
Sasquatch

Re: Pipe number 9

Post by Sasquatch »

I think if you stain it again with ... just about anything but black, from buckskin to cordovan, you'll have a really nice looking pipe.

There's apparently a little bulge/wobble about an inch from the button, top side of the stem. Just run a file over that now that it's bent and kind of smooth it out if so. Little hard to tell from the pics.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

I'll give that a try.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I would stain it with something lighter and then finish it with whatever buffing technique you use. A lot of improvement on this pipe from your others, btw.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Decided to take some of the plateau off to even out the top and make the stem side of the bowl not so high so it will be about half plateau half birds eye. Don't have access to more fiebings at this time what would be another option? Something house hold that I could use for a light stain. Would a boiled down coffee or tea work? Know it's not traditional but I'm strapped right now lol.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

i.keenum wrote: Would a boiled down coffee or tea work? Know it's not traditional but I'm strapped right now lol.
I've never tried that, but I don't think I'd recommend it. You could try it and see what happens. :)

The thing is you're talking about water based, and that can negate all of your fine sanding by raising the grain. Alcohol based stain has less tendency to do that.

Rad
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Here you can see the funny colored grain I was talking about and get a better idea of what I'm working with. Got it all sanded down back to 100 grit so that was a lesson learned so think I should take a trip to the local leather shop this weekend or leave it as is?

i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Couldn't get a hold of some stain, tried to do coffee steeped in ever clear but it didn't make much change. Here it is all finisihed up.

RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

I would re-stain it black, wipe off the excess with DNA, sand with 400 grit evenly, and apply a water base top color.

I don't know if a cooked down coffee or tea would be appropriate. It might be ok, I've never tested it.

If I'm not mistaken... pre-raising the grain, In other types of wood working, eliminates further raising of grain. If you were to pre raise the grain with water, let it dry, sand back (400 grit), then apply the water base stain, the grain should not raise again. Finish the sanding schedule and buff.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Or you could leave it like it is and let it darken naturally over time as you smoke it.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I don't know if it's my computer or what, but I'm not seeing anything really unusual in the color in these last photos. Briar, having been once a living thing, will tend to have natural variations that will produce inconsistent color like that.

Anyhow, as to staining, the coffee or tea probably won't really stick without a mordant--a catalyst (maybe not the right technical term?) that makes the color stick to the surface you're trying to color. You can look up appropriate mordants online, I'm sure.

I kind of liked it better with the plateaux on, myself.
- Steve S.
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

I sold her as is and some body didn't mind the grain, so can't change the finish now :D . Any thing I should have changed shaping / stem wise?? Right now I only have fiebings black and I have not enjoyed it. What would you guys say is your most commonly used fiebings colors?
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

i.keenum wrote:I sold her as is and some body didn't mind the grain, so can't change the finish now :D . Any thing I should have changed shaping / stem wise?? Right now I only have fiebings black and I have not enjoyed it. What would you guys say is your most commonly used fiebings colors?
I like chocolate as a base, sometimes for the final as well.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I'd say black is the most commonly used fieblings. But just as a base color.