Yet Another New Guy - Olive Wood Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Mark B.

Yet Another New Guy - Olive Wood Billiard

Post by Mark B. »

I've been lurking here a few months, absorbing as much info as possible. This is my first post, but I've met a couple of you in person and conversed with others via email and Instagram. Everyone I've spoken with has been very approachable, helpful, and patient with my questions. I appreciate it very much.

This is either my sixth pipe, or my first "real" pipe, depending on how you look at it. My first 5 were made from pre-drilled kits I got from Mark Tinsky. Between #5 and #6, I bought a used lathe and some other tools, and proceeded to ruin about 10 pieces of briar. I destroyed a few learning how to drill, some had fatal flaws uncovered in the process of making them, and one I dropped on the foor of my shop and broke off the shank.

Running low on briar at that point, I grabbed this piece of olive wood and it just happened to be the first one to make it to completion. I know it isn't perfect, and it's probably not even good by some standards. But if you line up my pipes sequentially you can definitely see progress, and that's what's important right now. That, and having fun. If it's not fun, why bother?

Also, first complete hand cut stem, which I find particularly challenging.

So here it is. I already know a few things I would do differently or better. I need to hear it from you though. Don't hold back, please. I need honest critique to get better. You're not gonna hurt my feelings.

Thank you!

sandahlpipe

Re: Yet Another New Guy - Olive Wood Billiard

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not too bad!

The bowl/shank junction probably needs the most work. You've taken a little too much off the bowl above the shank. You need to make a little more definition there.

The inside of your button has visible marks. Make a wedge of folded sandpaper and sand out the inside of the button. Also, I can see a knick on the side of the stem behind the button in the last picture. Don't leave any scratches on the stem.

Your stem is wobbly on the sides. Take your file to the sides and make sure they're straight before you finish sanding. You've also got a little spot where your stem and shank meet that isn't flush. Sand with the stem attached all the way around and rotate the stem to get it all flush so you can't feel where the stem starts and the shank begins.

Other than that, it's pretty good for a first hand-cut stem. I know my first hand cut stems weren't even in the same ballpark.

The stem
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

Thank you. I have a tendency to get excited as the pipe takes shape and in my enthusiasm I rush to the next step. I need to slow down and focus on details. I appreciate the feedback.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You're welcome. I've been at this for a couple years now and I still have to force myself to slow down sometimes. I've found that smoking a good pipe or cigar while I work on the details helps me take my time. At least, it's a good excuse to smoke a nice cigar. :-)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

Not going to criticize your work but compliment you on the great grained Olive wood. Thanks for showing us.