Second Pipe, a Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
swilly

Second Pipe, a Prince

Post by swilly »

Hey all,

This here is my second pipe made in one of my favorite shapes, a bent prince. I stained the pipe at 200 to hunt out deeper scratches, sanded to bare with 320, stained again, sanded down with 400, stained again, then sanded with 600 to my desired contrast. I took the stem to 1000. I also kept the stem on the pipe throughout the sanding process so there is no longer a perceptible step between the two components. Something my boss, the technical director for my school's theatre department, noticed was that there is a bit of a flat spot at the shank. As in, if I put that area of the pipe on a flat surface, it does not cleanly arc throughout the gentle curve (with only the beginning of the stem and the base of the bowl touching), but instead, the bottom of the shank touches. Not sure if that made any sense. What I got from that bit of critique was that I still need to slowly improve my eye. Other areas for improvement are getting a better polish near the bite zone, though I think I need to utilize George's method with a nut seating bolt to get near the bit, followed up with the starfishified buffing wheel so i can polish the mouthpiece right up until the bit. I also spent a lot more time on the stem this time, and I actually sanded down the bite zone to a much more desirable thinness in addition to shaping the bit to look something similar to Michael Lindner's (and other pipemakers' bits, Lindner comes to mind). Many photos. It's a cloudy day so I spent 5 minutes making a (really bad) lighting box. I think it helps somewhat. Any other suggestions for improvement are welcome!

Thanks.
Alex

PremalChheda

Re: Second Pipe, a Prince

Post by PremalChheda »

Overall shape is very traditional and done well.

For your second pipe, there is not much more but minor details. Smaller radius on shank/bowl junction.

Keep making more.

Did you hand cut the stem or use a blank?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks for the advice Premal! I'll be sure to pay some extra attention to better transitions between the shank and bowl junction. I should also take some photos with better lighting, especially of the bite zone and bit. Fortunately, I have four more kits to go through (and one that was going to be another prince, but the stem broke). I'm using blanks at the moment, kits from Mark at AMSmoke.

Best,
Alex
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Premal. That's some damn fine shaping, especially for a second pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

2d pipe! Very nice!
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, Wayne and Bruce. On to the next kit!

Alex
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Very good job; I think you will do very good pipes.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy buen trabajo; me parece que harás muy buenas pipas.
Saludos.
Félix
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Great job!