Egg/ball?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Egg/ball?

Post by JMG »

This pipe has nearly no grain in most areas. After trying twice as some sort of stain and having to completely resand the entire thing I decide it was just going to be natural. Not sure you guys will be a fan of the tapered shank. It was a pretty fun little pipe to make. I'd really appreciate any critique you guys could offer.

A bit of the previous stain that is being a butthole and not wanting to come out is visible here...it shall be remedied.

Stem looks a bit crooked in the pic. Checked it and it's all straight, just weird in the photo...

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
maxmil

Re: Egg/ball?

Post by maxmil »

Nice and well executed.
Best regards.
Félix

Bonita y bien ejecutada.
Saludos.
Félix
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The biggest thing that I see that would improve the smoking quality is to cut your slot much deeper. It should look more like this:

Granted the slot on this pipe should be a bit wider but you get the idea. Don't make your stem airways like a factory pipe where the slot is real shallow and the airway where it meets the slot is restricted. It's one of the major things that differentiate the quality of an artisan pipe from most mass produced pipes. It's also one of the main improvements one can make to a pipe to improve the quality of the smoke and how well a pipe handles moisture.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
notow1

Post by notow1 »

wdteipen wrote:The biggest thing that I see that would improve the smoking quality is to cut your slot much deeper. It should look more like this:

Granted the slot on this pipe should be a bit wider but you get the idea. Don't make your stem airways like a factory pipe where the slot is real shallow and the airway where it meets the slot is restricted. It's one of the major things that differentiate the quality of an artisan pipe from most mass produced pipes. It's also one of the main improvements one can make to a pipe to improve the quality of the smoke and how well a pipe handles moisture.
I found that when I learned to cut a deeper and wider slot I eliminated any gurgle and moisture problems, this is good advice, Norm.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Definitely agree with Wayne. Get you a jigsaw blade and grind down the back of it so it comes down to a real narrow point. Put that in a handle or wrap some tape around it and get in there and open that slot up.
JMG

Post by JMG »

After opening up the airway like that, how do you go about sanding the rough down? Files?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Alden

Post by Alden »

Files. Sandpaper. K31 zigzag saw. Whatever you can get in there to do what you want it to do.