First Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe T

First Churchwarden

Post by Joe T »

Pipemakers! I made my first Churchwarden! Crappy photo from a phone camera, but I'm pleased and wanted to share. I'll try and get some proper photos for critique when I have time. :)

Joe Thieman
JMG

Re: First Churchwarden

Post by JMG »

Did you drill the stem yourself? And what material is the stem?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Yeah, made the stem out of acrylic (imitation briar colors). Drilled it on my lathe. It was a real trick to drill a 12.5 inch stem on a 12 inch lathe. :thumbsup:

Well... it turned out to be a 11.5 inches... I broke the end when finishing the drilling process.
Joe Thieman
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All kinds of fun, huh?

Stem aside, and nice job to manage that, your shaping would be more "pro" if the back line of the bowl lined up from above the shank to below. As it is, the bottom indicates a real pick-axe sort of thing that isn't matched by the top.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Sasquatch wrote:All kinds of fun, huh?

Stem aside, and nice job to manage that, your shaping would be more "pro" if the back line of the bowl lined up from above the shank to below. As it is, the bottom indicates a real pick-axe sort of thing that isn't matched by the top.

Hmm... I see what you mean. I was trying to make this shape of pipe with a 'pick' coming out of the bottom. :

Joe Thieman
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sure, and it's totally do-able ... there's far more ways to get a pipe shape kinda-sorta than to nail it, of course. And that's why no one cuts a perfect anything first try. You cut it, you learn, you see more, you cut another, you learn, you see more...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

Great lookin 'warden! Would be a great shop pipe. Another try or two to work out the lines and it'll be pwn!
socrates

Post by socrates »

Nice looking! How does it smoke?
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

socrates wrote:Nice looking! How does it smoke?
Really well! Nice and cool, smoke rings just hang in the air. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to a normal length pipe for an evening smoke! :)
Joe Thieman
socrates

Post by socrates »

Joe T wrote:
socrates wrote:Nice looking! How does it smoke?
Really well! Nice and cool, smoke rings just hang in the air. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to a normal length pipe for an evening smoke! :)
Awesome!
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

Looks pretty good. In addition to what's already been said, I think the stem could use a bit more bend. Maybe 12-15° in a gently decreasing radius toward the button. When I'm smoking a pipe, I like the end of the stem at the button to be parallel, or nearly so, to the top of the bowl.

It's easier for me to post a picture than try to explain.

I also think it would look better without the tooth on the bottom:

Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Hmm... I see your point. I put the tooth on there to make the stummel different from another pipe I made.

Now I'm curious about the curve on the stem. I like it with a slight curve like it has, but I have odd taste in some things. Where do the rest of you stand on this? ( All of you! ) :)
Joe Thieman
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I think this is a case where subtle doesnt work. The stummel has a pretty big bend, and the stem needs one too. You want to kind of match the curve on the bottom of the bowl with the stem.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

Ahh, I see... I'll have to play around with that. Thanks for the rule of thumb. :)
Joe Thieman
JMG

Post by JMG »

For pipes that will be clenched it certainly makes it better for the stem to run parallel to the rim. I guess there won't be much clenching with a c'warden, but I still agree with Mark's sketch about the bend. BTW, kudos on the drilling that sucker!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad