visiting a pipemakers shop...how to approach?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Re: visiting a pipemakers shop...how to approach?

Post by bikedoctor »

I recently found a carver on Pipedia (Thanks to S.E. Thile) that lives just 70 miles north of me. I email him to see if he would entertain a visit to his workshop this Saturday. His response was direct:
"I don't mean to be rude, but I have always been reluctant to have visitors in my shop. I am always busy making pipes. You can view just about everything I make in my eBay listings.
I appreciate his response as it saved me time and gas money and I completely understand this carvers view. The visitor, or requesting visitor, must remember that the carver has certain production goals. Also, ones workshop becomes a sactum. How does this guy know I'm not a wacko that will geek out and overstay the welcome. In the end, it is the collector and upcoming pipe maker that benefits more than the carver; so should you get the chance to meet a carver enjoy the memory and count the blessing.
This one hurt a little as this carver was at the top of my short list but maybe we will meet at Chicago one day.
Rad, Todd, Jeff, is this an accurate view for the hobbiest to have?
Kevin
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

bikedoctor wrote:I recently found a carver on Pipedia (Thanks to S.E. Thile) that lives just 70 miles north of me. I email him to see if he would entertain a visit to his workshop this Saturday. His response was direct:
"I don't mean to be rude, but I have always been reluctant to have visitors in my shop. I am always busy making pipes. You can view just about everything I make in my eBay listings.
I appreciate his response as it saved me time and gas money and I completely understand this carvers view. The visitor, or requesting visitor, must remember that the carver has certain production goals. Also, ones workshop becomes a sactum. How does this guy know I'm not a wacko that will geek out and overstay the welcome. In the end, it is the collector and upcoming pipe maker that benefits more than the carver; so should you get the chance to meet a carver enjoy the memory and count the blessing.
This one hurt a little as this carver was at the top of my short list but maybe we will meet at Chicago one day.
No.

I've had several customers/potential customers request visits, and I've always welcomed them. I'm always making pipes, and they are welcome to come and watch and ask questions.

So far no one has ever overstayed their welcome.

Except for Skip Elliott. He stayed for like 3 hours and then took me to dinner. What a pain. :twisted:

Rad
Skip

Post by Skip »

RadDavis wrote:
bikedoctor wrote:I recently found a carver on Pipedia (Thanks to S.E. Thile) that lives just 70 miles north of me. I email him to see if he would entertain a visit to his workshop this Saturday. His response was direct:
No.

I've had several customers/potential customers request visits, and I've always welcomed them. I'm always making pipes, and they are welcome to come and watch and ask questions.

Except for Skip Elliott. He stayed for like 3 hours and then took me to dinner. What a pain. :twisted:

Rad
Skip

Post by Skip »

RadDavis wrote:Except for Skip Elliott. He stayed for like 3 hours and then took me to dinner. What a pain.
I think the time I really overstayed my welcome was the time I visited Todd Johnson.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Skip wrote:
RadDavis wrote:Except for Skip Elliott. He stayed for like 3 hours and then took me to dinner. What a pain.
I think the time I really overstayed my welcome was the time I visited Todd Johnson.

He's still there.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Skip wrote:
I used to hang out at the Briary for hours on end buying nothing and fondling every pipe in the store. You must be confused. You never overstayed your welcome, but then again you never took me to dinner either. :D By the way, I went and visited that little stone pipe cave last summer. Man did that bring back some memories!

TJ
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

There's a top tier pipe carver 70 miles north of Shreveport, LA who sells his pipe on eBay? This one's as tough as the crossword in the Sunday Times. I'm stumped.

Todd
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Well ... .... :)

Edited.
Last edited by TimGeorge on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Anyone is welcome in my shop - but I usually prepare them by telling them that it's a dirty little hole in the ground so they don't expect some kind of grand, idyllic workshop. I usually clean off a stool for them. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

As long as they bring good beer, I'm happy to show off my hobbiest shop!
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Todd wrote:There's a top tier pipe carver 70 miles north of Shreveport, LA who sells his pipe on eBay? This one's as tough as the crossword in the Sunday Times. I'm stumped.

Thank you Todd.

Edit: A Pipedia recognized carver.

I remember as a budding bicycle mechanic (Yes gents. Bicycles have mechanics) I enjoyed having customers come by and watch me wrench. Once an older gent (This guy was old Rad. Something like 41 or 42 :) ) brought in a beautiful classic steel Janni Mota. One moment we were just chit chatting and then he began to tell me about why his machine had been so neglected. For the past 18 months he had walked his wife to the grave with cancer and now a year after her death he was just begining to live again. I felt unworthy to be there but the guy needed a release and I was fortunate to be there with him. Win for the craftsman.

I also remember as an aspiring mechanic how I would appreciate the efficiency of my mechanic and how it was worth paying him $20.00 for 15 minutes of work to save me 1 1/2hours + the same $ 20.00 for him to fix what I broke. Win for the craftsman again.

But to each his own.

Rad, you wanna go to Sonic??
Last edited by bikedoctor on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

TimGeorge wrote:Well ... 70 miles north would be Texarkana, and a google for Texarkana handmade pipes just brings up one guy, who does have some listings on ebay .... :)
I should have left out the distance as I have no ax to grind.

I'm sorry now I posted it. Forgive me.
Kevin
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bikedoctor wrote:
TimGeorge wrote:Well ... 70 miles north would be Texarkana, and a google for Texarkana handmade pipes just brings up one guy, who does have some listings on ebay .... :)
I should have left out the distance as I have no ax to grind.

I'm sorry now I posted it. Forgive me.
Whoa there, I wasn't casting aspersions on anyone. I really just don't know anybody that lives 70 miles north of Shreveport and makes pipes, that's all. For all I know it could have been Mike Butera. I'm sure David makes some really fine pipes. I just didn't know he lived north of Shreveport. Now I do.

TJ
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

I edited the above post to delete info regarding the pipemaker in question. Should have thought that one through first.

On the plus side, I am planning to bid on one of his pipes .... Looks like they are usually a good deal.
Regards,
Tim
EBK

Post by EBK »

No.

Rad[/quote]

I have visited Rad for my first look into pipe crafting and can state he was very informative and a wonderful host! Really amazing to see how effortlessly he created a first rate pipe. You can tell he must have spent countless hours at the lathe and sanding wheel to master his craft. Great pipes!

Thanks again Rad!
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Hell I wish someone would visit me!!! I'm so lonely............. :lol: Actually anyone one in Connecticut or anywhere else wants to come hang out some Saturday I am all for it. Usually have a nice fire in the fire pit outside on good nights. I have thought about asking to visit Kurts but I never seem to get the time to go anywhere. My "honeydo list" is getting quite long.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And it isn't going to get any shorter with Spring here either!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
buster

Post by buster »

Anyone near Cleveland,OH. I'm bored as hell and can't find a job. I need to get out of the house.
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

buster wrote:I'm bored as hell and can't find a job. I need to get out of the house.
man, do i understand that statement!!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

EBK wrote:

I have visited Rad for my first look into pipe crafting and can state he was very informative and a wonderful host! Really amazing to see how effortlessly he created a first rate pipe. You can tell he must have spent countless hours at the lathe and sanding wheel to master his craft. Great pipes!

Thanks again Rad!
Hey Eric! Great to see you here! :D
Rad