visiting a pipemakers shop...how to approach?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Re: visiting a pipemakers shop...how to approach?

Post by Nick »

Tsunami wrote:Hell I wish someone would visit me!!! I'm so lonely............. :lol: Actually anyone one in Connecticut or anywhere else wants to come hang out some Saturday I am all for it. Usually have a nice fire in the fire pit outside on good nights. I have thought about asking to visit Kurts but I never seem to get the time to go anywhere. My "honeydo list" is getting quite long.

We definately gotta get together some time Tsu. Hartford is darn near walking distance. better yet, lets get together and go harass Kurt. I hear he has good beer and pink leather chaps!
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well I don't know about the chaps part but Sounds like a plan. Give me a call and will hang out then climb in the truck for a road trip to RI.
EBK

Post by EBK »

Hey Eric! Great to see you here! :D
Rad[/quote]

Thanks Rad.

I have slowly built a pipe shop in my garage and have done a dozen or so kits from Mark Tinsky and have lately been working on hand cut stems from rod stock Mark pre drilled for me. I have a ways to go but I am learning with every pipe!

I hope to pick up a lathe this summer and move on to completing all the steps of pipe production myself. I even scored a nice blasting cabinet from a buddy that I'll put to use once I pick up a compressor.

Thanks again for all the help and inspiration!
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

In actuality I am going to be in RI this Saturday! I am going to look at ,maybe purchase a old Gorton Pantograph Engraving machine. I engrave my stems with my logo and engrave the pipe as well and this will enable me to do it "in house" rather than me be at the mercy of using someone elses machine and ther time schedule. Leaving around 9am if your interested Nick! :D lol I could use the extra muscle as the machine is :shock: 700+ pounds!!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool!! Lemme check out the honey do list, see if its not too long. But man, a 700 pound pantagraph? What was it built to engrave?
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well it basically looks like this but way way way more filthy! lol

This guy restored one. Very versitile machine..
http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/Gor ... store.html
Nick

Post by Nick »

Pretty darn cool!!!
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I hope it turns out as cool. Will post pics on Sunday
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Holy crap! I don't suppose I could talk you out of that machine? :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Incredible old American machinery. The 3D contour capability is just the trick for shank (and stem?) engraving. Tsunami, are you going to use it only for pipe engraving? It seems to me it's too much machine not to be used for other purposes. The best part is that J.Riser can now make pretty much any font template that you could desire. Not that searching for esoteric tooling isn't a pleasure in itself.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well originally I only wanted it for Pipe and Stem engraving, but with that particular machine it opens some real posibilities. I was an engraver at a local machine shop off and on for 15 years. I have never used this particular brand and model but worked on a similar machine. Once I get it going maybe I could put it to use somehow for other projects I have yet to dream up.
Kurt; You may NOT talk me out of that machine but your welcome to use it and visit anytime you wish! lol
tsalagi

Post by tsalagi »

Sorry for the re-derailment of the topic, but I was intrigued by the traditional archery discussion on page one. I learned to shoot on a long bow at the age of 8 and have been a traditional archer all my life. My business partner at one time was one of the top arrowsmiths in the nation and made all my arrows. My tobacco store in Missouri has recurves and arrows mounted all over the walls as well as some of our trophies taken down by recurves.

Being of Tsalagi(Cherokee) descent, traditional archery has been a lifestyle for me and its always a pleasant surprise to find other folks who share the interest. Again, my apologies for the disruption...

:thumbsup:
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Eh it is ok, trad hunting (be it bow, or even OLD school black powder (none of this crazy inline super rifle stuff) is the only way to go. Somewhere most hunters went wrong when they started to focus on the end and not the journey. There is a time and a place for all weapons (all can be a challenge depending on animal and location) but using a rifle or rifled shotgun with a scope from a tree stand over a bait pile is not hunting....IMO

My personel goal is to only hunt trad and only from the ground one day. Kills will be few and far between, but what a rush.

-Nate
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
zack

Post by zack »

Hey guys I'm new to the site, actually my first post, but anywho any one live near Indianapolis, Indiana and wouldn't mind being bothered for a few hours? I could use some help with stems. I can never seem to get a tight fit, and not have a gap between the stummel and the stem.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Hey, Zack. I'm no pro but I can show you what I know. I welcome visitors to my "shop" aka. garage all the time. I live in Cloverdale, IN about 30 minutes from Indy airport. I don't check in here every day so be patient if I don't get right back with you.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com