billiard for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

billiard for critique

Post by kamkiel »

I finished this pipe yesterday afternoon. It is too big for my liking, makes my head look small... but as always, I enjoyed making it and I look forward to your comments and critiques.

Thanks,
Kiel

Literaryworkshop

Re: billiard for critique

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Well, I can't say much, but I'll start. I think the overall shape looks pretty good. There's a nice taper on the bowl, and the proportions look correct, if not totally spot on. I wonder if the stem is just a tad too long? Also, did you drill the bowl and airway at 90 degrees to each other? I think the most visually pleasing billiards usually have the bowl canted forward ever so slightly.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Well, I can't say much, but I'll start. I think the overall shape looks pretty good. There's a nice taper on the bowl, and the proportions look correct, if not totally spot on. I wonder if the stem is just a tad too long? Also, did you drill the bowl and airway at 90 degrees to each other? I think the most visually pleasing billiards usually have the bowl canted forward ever so slightly.
Honestly, I have no idea. I try to angle it forward slightly while drilling but I cant say to what angle. I also find it really hard to square up a block before i drill. If it looks square enough i'll go ahead and drill. At this point in my process, I am lacking percision.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kiel
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad at all. Shaping is close. Looks like you took a tad too much on the heel and back side of the bowl and the heel lifts a bit too soon. Stem length looks good and proportions look good. Button and slot work needs some refining. It looks like your airway ends a little low in the tobacco chamber. You want the bottom of your airway to be pretty close to the bottom of the chamber. I drill my chamber just a fraction lower to account for bowl coating.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

wdteipen wrote:Not bad at all. Shaping is close. Looks like you took a tad too much on the heel and back side of the bowl and the heel lifts a bit too soon. Stem length looks good and proportions look good. Button and slot work needs some refining. It looks like your airway ends a little low in the tobacco chamber. You want the bottom of your airway to be pretty close to the bottom of the chamber. I drill my chamber just a fraction lower to account for bowl coating.
I will make sure to pay more attention to the drilling on the next one. Honestly, chamber depth has always been a bit confusing to me. I have a Stanwell where the airway is really high in it. It is like a trench in the bottom of the chamber. I thought the pipe smoked fine, but I have never smoked a high end pipe either.

When I am drilling the chamber I don't go for the "trench" look, but I am also afraid of over drilling it. I would bring it to where I was comfortable with a "far enough" depth.

I appreciate your feedback on this pipe and the tomato I posted. I have been finishing up some old pipes this last week. After I get those done, the advice I have gotten on my last two pipes I will try really hard to put into practice.

Thanks,
Kiel