lathe question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
achduliebe

lathe question

Post by achduliebe »

I have the opportunity to buy a South Bend lathe for a very very good price. I don't have a model number for the lathe, but I did go to look at it yesterday. It runs great. It was manufactured in 1916. It is a flippin' huge lathe. It is every bit of 5 1/2 feet long and weighs in the neighborhood of 600 lbs. What do you guys think? Is this overkill for doing pipes? It seems like overkill to me, but it is a great price. I mean, the motor on this thing would cost as much as what he wants for all of it. I guess I am just looking for someone to give me the nudge. I don't know anything about lathes but have heard South Bend a great, so I imagine it must be a pretty good piece of equipment.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you don't buy it, you may regret it. Keep in mind, there's no such thing as overkill as far as lathes for pipe making go. The larger the lathe, the more stable it will be during off-balance turning, and the more solid it will feel during boring and turning operations.

The only question left is, "Is this what you really want to spend your money on?" I've said it before, a good lathe is a serious investment, and takes up a lot of space. Be sure that this is something you want/need before pulling the trigger. I'm not saying don't buy it, but since you asked the question, I assume you have some doubt. That's a serious lathe, and you'll want to be serious about having one.

There are operations that I do on my wood lathe that would take less time if I had a metal lathe, but it isn't strictly necessary for me use one to make pipes. I'm still on the fence myself about buying a good metal lathe. I'm just not sure I *need* one. It would make life easy for me, but it's not something that I find necessary during the course of an average day in my workshop.

I had been saving up to buy a metal lathe, but instead, I dropped a wad of cash on a second sandblasting cabinet last week. I want to dedicate a media and grit to each cabinet, instead of having to sweep the thing out when I want to change media - this is especially painful when I'm only blasting one pipe. I also picked up a special gun for the second cabinet which I'm hoping will give me much more control over the media.

So, where was I going in my ramble? Basically, if you're not sure, wait until you are. I wasn't sure about a metal lathe, but I didn't even have to consider for a moment the addition of a second blasting cabinet. I *know* I need that second cabinet, and I *know* that my pipes will improve when I start using it. I'm not that convinced about a metal lathe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the response, I was hoping you would respond. I guess my doubt comes in that, this lathe is pretty big. It is considerably bigger than the Jet BD920N and it appears to be a great lathe. The guy is only wanting $400 for it, but I feel like it is too much lathe for me. Not to mention this mammoth would be sitting in my garage, not a dedicated workshop building.

I am kind of at a crossroads, I am happy with my pipes but I definately need to improve some of my processes. I guess I am just not convinced that this big lathe is going to necessarily help me improve all those processes.

I have been looking at lathes for a while now. I never dreamed that when I found a great deal like this, I would have such a hard time pulling the trigger.

I guess this is the same ole' debate. Do I buy one big lathe to do everything? Buy a small wood lathe to drill with and a mini metal to do stems? Or do I guy nothing and perfect my skills on the drill press? The last choice still does not help me with improving my stem work/tenons???

Hmmm....decisions decisions.....
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, you could always do what I do - use the wood lathe for everything.

I do suggest a lathe, but not necessarily a honkin' huge one unless you're convinced that this is something you want to dedicate that much space and expense to. If you're on the fence, a Jet Mini Lathe is a great choice. I have one, I think John Crosby uses one, and a few other folks have it's twin from Delta, the Midi Lathe. More than servicable for stummel work, and if you have a steady hand and a keen eye, you can do all sorts of stem work as well.

But, I will admit to cursing myself for not being down there within a liftgate-equipped U-Haul's drive of a $400 South Bend in working condition. That would seal the deal for me, it's too good to pass up. However (and this is a big one) I have floorspace in my workshop to put one, and some free 220V circuits. :)

All that aside, a Jet BD920N s a great choice. I intend to grab one at some point - mostly because it will cut down on the time I spend on some lathe operations.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
damtender

Post by damtender »

Howdy Guys (girls?) I'm brand new to this forum. Have been carving a few pipes for my own use for about a year now. Have been using the usual bandsaw, bench drill press. belt sander, Dremel etc but just received my X-mas present this week. A nearly new Grizzly G 4015 combo metal lathe and milling machine. I don't know metal lathes from spaceships but can tell there is one hell'va lot to learn. I paid $500 for the machine and it came with a stand, many strange looking (to me) cutting tools and a Grizzly Industries catalogue. I'm all hot to try my first stem but don't have any stock yet so chucked-up a pice of 1" wood dowel to practice. Well, it's going to take some time! However, I can certainly recommend the catalogue for just about any materials the hobbiest may want. No briar or stem stock of course but nearly everything else.
Hope I don't bore you with a bunch of dumb questions but I'm full of them.
Thanks, Jon
magruder

Post by magruder »

Welcome Jon.
There are no dumb questions, just the occasional dumb answer.:D
Good luck,
Steve