TAIG for First Time User

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Congrats on your new purhase.

I'm pretty sure it will come with an instruction manual for setting up. Mine did, although mine's not a Taig.

Judging from the posts I've read, you should try to get a 4 jaw independant chuck for it if it doesn't come with one and if you can afford it.

I don't know what's included with the Taig, but I would advise buying other accessories/components as you find you need them. I purchased way too many items on spec when I bought my lathe, many of them now rarely if ever used.

Regards,
Frank.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

It's very easy to assemble and use. I've got both the three jawed self-centering chuck and the four jaw chuck. I use both a fair bit. I'm not too sure about turning small stummels on it though. It might be a bit too small and underpowered for that kind of thing, even with the risers. I use mine exclusively for stem work and it's a great machine for it. If you haven't already I'd suggest getting the metalworking setup and select woodworking parts. Good luck!
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Pegleg

Post by Pegleg »

Ok, Think I can assist here, Pooka~!
If you can link up to Tyler Lane Pipes page on the net you'll find a list of what you should order when you order the Taig lathe for stem work. Really useful information and should get you off to the right start. If you have any problem finding the site PM me and send your email addy and I'll send the link. Lots of great info still there that you should read. Nick Carter is where I bought mine, and received a ten percent discount on accessories when I ordered them with the Taig. I'll send ya that link too if you want it. Good luck!
Pegleg
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

At this point, all the pipe making links are still in tact at http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/index.php
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com