You guys gotta see ths...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
magruder

You guys gotta see ths...

Post by magruder »

NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

I would say that he has a style and it is his own, which is more than I can say for myself. Once you're past engineering and fit and finish, finding YOUR style IS the key. That's my $.02.

Dave
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That is unique and beautiful. Looks to be fine work...probably safe to say that is not a clencher! 8O
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Not my style but look to be well made and well finished...

I saw you bring them up over on Knoxcigar's forum... where'd you find 'em?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Steve,

I saw this pipe on his site a few days ago. His style is very advanced. I'd be interested to hear some history on this guy. Judging by his exposition on engineering and fluid dynamics on another board, it seems that he knows his stuff better than most (better than me, that's for sure). The silver application is quite stunning and apparently very well executed. However, while I am quite taken with the pipe for its aesthetics, I must voice my suspicion about its smoking qualities, particularly moisture collection and heat generation in the metal shank. I'd be interested to hear what customers have to say.

Best,

Jeff
magruder

Post by magruder »

Jeff,
Yeah, I really want to meet this guy. His post was fascinating.
His pipes are amazing. Boy, I'd love to get one and smoke it.
Perhaps someone somewhere will post about how they smoke.
I suspect they smoke well. Maybe that's wishfull thinking...
I just love to see new advances.
Best,
Steve
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

I would love to read the post you're talking about... can someone post which board it was posted on and which section? Many thanks.

Dave
jeff

Post by jeff »

Dave,

It's actually a members/invitation only board, so that's not really possible. Suffice it to say that he either knows what he's talking about, or is a raving lunatic who by chance happened to string together BS giving it the appearance of coherence.

:)

JG
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

A definite piece of art.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

jeff wrote:Dave,

It's actually a members/invitation only board, so that's not really possible. Suffice it to say that he either knows what he's talking about, or is a raving lunatic who by chance happened to string together BS giving it the appearance of coherence.

:)

JG
Thanks Jeff,

Dave--who dreams of someday, oh someday, being invited behind the green door into the super secret squirrel room. :D
marks

Post by marks »

Now that is an interesting pipe. It reminds me of the soldiers' helmets you see in movies of Rome.

Magruder, I can see one of this fellow's pipes in your future... :wink:
magruder

Post by magruder »

I'm already talkin'to him :thumb:
bolasdefuego

Raving Lunatic

Post by bolasdefuego »

Dear Dave,

The shank is not metal, I am frankly impressed with the results.
I have been doing some R&D on this mule that I call BORG.
I put these things together from my "lego" kit (stuff that I didn't like or botched) to test materials and other design issues.

http://www.bolasdefuego.com/WA/BDF-Borg/BDF-Borg03.jpg
http://www.bolasdefuego.com/WA/BDF-Borg/BDF-Borg02.jpg

The BORG is beleive it or not an excellent smoker, I plugged a 4" tube first and later a 3" tube. Very dry smoke.

This shank has not been metallized, and I will probably offer the ceramic shanks natural or white only, since metallizing is just too expensive in small quantities and adds weight.

DL (L for Lunatic)
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Dan,
A while back, I thought about asking people to post some pictures of their shop mules--I may go ahead and do that now. :thumb:

I'm really curious about a couple of things;

Ok, so the BORG has a ceramic tubing shank--is that right? So the pipe that is the subject of this thread has a ceramic shank that is metallized? Is that right? (Dave wonders how one goes about plating ceramic but holds that thought for another thread)

Does the ceramic tube have absorptive properties that help eliminate moisture and dry the smoke?

Is a small diameter, ceramic tubing shank (like the one on BORG) prone to breakage? (Is the ceramic tubing fragile?)

Have you experimented with lining a briar shank's airway with ceramic tubing--can you see any advantage to doing that?

Thanks Dan--your work is very impressive.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Someone may have thought I directed the "squirrel" comment at them (super secret squirrel room)--it was not--I used to spend alot of time in another forum dedicated to Heckler and Koch firearms. H&K has a room they call the "Grey Room" that has EVERY firearm they ever made on display--on HKPRO the Grey Room is sometimes refered to as the super secret squirrel room and everyone who loves H&K wants to see it. Super Secrect Squirrel room is a metaphor for something I would love to see and be apart of--nothing more. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Are you saying that I might be the only one who got the reference, Dave? :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

KurtHuhn wrote:Are you saying that I might be the only one who got the reference, Dave? :D
You must be one of the few... Sometimes I just don't think before I hit the send button.