My shop

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
munkey

My shop

Post by munkey »

Here are some photos of my humble shop. I've recently cleaned out the garage and have gotten things organized. I have some other equipment in other parts of the garage, like a band saw, but this is pretty much pipe-making-central for me. I enjoy seeing photos of other people's shops, so I thought I'd share:

NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Scott,
I love the shop--very nice lathe--what make is it? Did you get the lathe from craigslist? (Notice I dare not post the link to craigslist--that is an ENTIRELY different thread!) :D

Also, where did you get your chamber bit (that is your chamber bit in the chuck yes?)?
JMB

Post by JMB »

Cool work station. Was it "store bought" or did you make it yourself. Wish mine shop was that clean.
JMB
munkey

Post by munkey »

NvilleDave wrote:Scott,
I love the shop--very nice lathe--what make is it? Did you get the lathe from craigslist? (Notice I dare not post the link to craigslist--that is an ENTIRELY different thread!) :D

Also, where did you get your chamber bit (that is your chamber bit in the chuck yes?)?
It's an Atlas 9x42", and yes, I did get it from criagSlist. :D
It was a fortunate find, it came with a bunch of goodies (upgraded quick-change tool post and holders, tooling, manuals), was delivered to my garage and assembled, plus the guy was kind enough to spend some time showing me the ropes and gave me some scrap metal to get me started.

I got my chamber bit from a machinist in Indiana, Trent Rudat, he is also a pipe smoker/maker. His prices are good, he charges ~$40 for a bit and he will do chuck modifications for ~$200. For those of you interested, here are some quick photos of my modified jaws:
http://gilariver.net/~munkey/pipes/inde ... ir=./chuck

If interested in bits or chuck modifications drop him a line:
trudat1970(at)netzero.net
If you'd like to give him a ring, drop me a PM and I'll pass on his number.
JMB wrote:Cool work station. Was it "store bought" or did you make it yourself. Wish mine shop was that clean.
It was originally store bought, a buddy of mine had it in his garage and didn't need it in addition to the built-in bench, so he passed it along. I don't know where it originated from.
marks

Post by marks »

Cool shop. It's a lot cleaner than mine, too.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

munkey wrote:I got my chamber bit from a machinist in Indiana, Trent Rudat, he is also a pipe smoker/maker. His prices are good, he charges ~$40 for a bit and he will do chuck modifications for ~$200. For those of you interested, here are some quick photos of my modified jaws:
http://gilariver.net/~munkey/pipes/inde ... ir=./chuck
Wow, that's a very reasonable price. I'll have to keep that in mind if I need some chuck jaws modified.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com