Etude #7, Small Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sethile

Etude #7, Small Billiard

Post by sethile »

Ok, sorry to keep buggin you all, but have really appreciated the help and comments here. I figured it was time to try a billiard. I was surprised by how difficult this shape is.
'm much happier with the mechanics on this one. Thanks to Bryan, my new modified drill press vice helped with the side to side draught hole to tobacco chamber alignment, and I've also developed a new technique for the depth alignment. Not perfect, but much much better. I still had some shaping issues. This was a very small ebauchon, so I had a lot of limitations in terms of how to approach it. For one, I did not get enough of the traditional Billiard tilt forward. The symmetry is a little better, but I still see issues that I really want to get nailed down. The stem insert on this is briar, cut off of the stem side of the ebauchon I used for the pipe, with an attempt to match up the grain (seems to have worked pretty well, but it does not have a pronounced figure to it).
Specs: The bowl is 1.17 wide, by 1.75 tall. The Chamber is .75 (3/4) by 1.55 deep. Overall length is 5.7.
Ok, here is the sad confession picture (you new that was coming, right?):
Well, my symmetry is better than it was, but I am still having "issues". This time on the stem. The stummel symmetry tuned out pretty well this time. This picture makes the stem look worse than it is, but it's certainly an issue. I noticed this late in the process. The molded stem was a bit bent or twisted somehow. Perhaps I did this while effecting the Delrin tenon and inserts, but I tend to think it was defective out of the mold. I tried bending it straight and reshaping, but not very successfully.

This kind of issue is is why I'm still not wanting to let anything out of the shop yet. Hope to nail these issues down soon. So, meanwhile, another great learning experience!

Tear it up folks. I'm here to learn!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe buddy. Very elegant.
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Great work with this one! Number 7 already, I'm still one 3 (which I've been working on for a little too long, sorry Dave). It really looks great. I see what you mean with the stem but the brair and ?acrylic? bands are very nice. Bravo!

Josh
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Nice pipe, I really like the briar band on the stem, very classy look. Sometimes the stem problems can't be overcome when using a premade. Most of the ones I've used are just a little (or a lot) "off" symetrically making it really difficult to get a good looking final result. Other than that, nice looking pipe.

David
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks very much for the encouragement and comments. The black insert is just the sliced off face of the preformed vulcanite stem (I used a Delin tenon). With Heinz going with hand cut for his amazing first pipe, and seeing David's beautiful number 12 with his hand cut stem, I've decided to swallow hard and go for it on the next one. With as many issues as I've been having with just stummels and pre-made stems I can only imagine what I'm getting myself into with that!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Go for it Scott. I know how you feel, been through that sense of panic of trying for the first time to cut your own stem. I found that it really doesn't take any more time or effort than reworking a premade stem to fit and match the pipe. Plus you've got a lot more design control. The hardest thing for me is opening the airway at the slit in the button, couldn't seem to do it without damaging the slit I cut, but a little practice and I'm getting better! Since you are already using delrin for tenons, its just a small step to making your own stem! One bit of advice, make your first stem a simple one to work out the mechanics on how to do it. I didn't follow this and it resulted in a lot of grumbling and frustration. 8O

David