five

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
alexanderfrese

five

Post by alexanderfrese »

I finally finished two pipes. Not that they took me that short time, they were just finished in one month…

So here is number five:Image
Klick here to see the complete gallery.

Again based on a set prebored by Love Geiger (warm thanx again!) for me. Stem premade, but fine-shaped by myself.

Seems like the reverse idea to my first one (compare it here). I turned the whole setting by 180°. Again I went for something geometrical. Tried to continue that with the "diamond-shape" on the shank.

Some known issues: Stem/Shank junction. I know how to work on it to keep it smooth, but it seems that over the time I am working on the stummel, I always grab on the shank’s edge with something…
It flew off the wheel during the final wax buffing. :cry:
So there is a wonderful ding in the top edge. I love it…

Any opinion and critique welcome.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
marks

Post by marks »

This pipe punches all my "cool pipe" buttons. I like straight pipes, particularly if they are panels, square shanks, or variants. I think you did a great job transitioning from a square shank to a diamond stem.

The basic lines remind me of the pipe I made for the 2004 P&T carving contest, except you did the pipe with a round bowl, and mine was completely paneled. To elaborate a little, both our pipes are wide at the bottom, tapering to a narrower top. We also have square shanks and saddle type stems. Your geometric pyramid shapes are on the shank and stem whereas I incorporated these elements into the bottom corners of the bowl. Similar elements and lines, but remarkably different effects. (You can see the pipe I did for the contest on the main page of my website, and in the gallery page).

So I guess it is obvious that I really like this pipe. Would you mind if I attempt to make this shape (or something similar) sometime in the future?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Mark,

indeed I would be pleased if my ideas might inspire someone else. I rather think in these concepts of inspiration than in those of competition.

Go ahead.

Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Alex,
It grows better and better in my estimation. At first #4 struck me as the better, but . . . well, #4's grain is lovely indeed, and I certainly can't see problems with its symetry from where I'm sitting. But #5 is a very thoughful design indeed. I especially like the square-into-octagon treatment of stem and shank --- very classy. And keeping more wood at the bottom makes lots of sense. Very nice pipes, both. Had #5 the conrasty grain, though, there'd be no contest.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

As a matter of fact, I don't go for the grain yet. The blocks don't offer that much grain, and I want to improve my skills before that state…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
marks

Post by marks »

alexanderfrese wrote:Mark,

indeed I would be pleased if my ideas might inspire someone else. I rather think in these concepts of inspiration than in those of competition.

Go ahead.

Thank you sir.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Hey Alex

it makes me a happy man that you are putting the blocks I drilled for you to good use!! and very nice shapes congrats :P

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Alex,

Yet another beautiful pipe! Your stummel/shank transistion/junction is probably the tightest I have ever seen, that is outstanding. Very very cool design and awesome execution. I love that pipe! Great job.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Beautiful pipe, Alex. Absolutely stunning. Your stem and shank work is very cool.

Josh
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

That has very nice clean lines Alex. I continue to be amazed by the quality of pipes people are making on thier 1 - 5 trys.

PS> I have been waiting for you to comment on my new logo, you graphic designer you :D

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... pic&t=1613