My First Rusticated! Opinions wanted.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

My First Rusticated! Opinions wanted.

Post by bvartist »

Finally managed a rustication technique I might be able to work with. Would like everybody's opinion on it though. The look I was going for was similar to the water weathered limestone in my area. So its a rough, craggy surface. I tried to match the finish as close as I could to the colors of the cumberland stem.

Approx. specs on the pipe: Length 5 11/16" Bowl height 1 3/4" Chamber Depth approx 1 1/2" Chamber Diameter 3/4" Outside of bowl is 1 5/16" The stem is cumberland, trim bands are ebonite, walnut and ash. Tenon is delrin. My thinnest bit so far at .160 behind the button(I'll probably sand through the next one!)

The rustication was done using a small woodcarving gouge and a 3/32" dremel engraving bit. And although the pics look like there is a flare in the saddle, I've laid a straight edge on it and there isn't(looks like it to me, thats why I checked)

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice work! Keep it up!

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Tyler :wink:
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Wow! 5 words this time???? :lol:

Thanks Tyler

(was that truthful or just polite?) Ok, maybe I don't want you to answer that! 8O

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bvartist wrote:Wow! 5 words this time???? :lol:

Thanks Tyler

(was that truthful or just polite?) Ok, maybe I don't want you to answer that! 8O

David
Therein lies the problem. You don't know, and because you don't know even if I mean it the compliment is neutered by the fact that you are unsure.

8)

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

OK. OK.

I do think it is a nice pipe. I also see several things that could be improved on the pipe. I'd love to share those with you, but I don't want to type them up. :wink:

I you would like to talk about it, I'd love to.

PM me your phone number and I'll call you.

Or...my cell, if you so desire: 432-978-9897.

Tyler :thumb:
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Tyler,

really sure about publicating phone numbers here?
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Tyler,
Does that mean we can all call you collect to see what you found in the pipe? :D

Great Job David
Not being any kind of expert on this.. I can offer this one bit of observation. It seems the rustification is tighter on the shank then the bowl? LOVE the bowl not crazy about the shank? Crazy yes, just not about the shank.

Other parts..
Absolutely love the inlay. What woods are they? Bocote & Maple?
I like how it is bans and looks like a simple addition to the pipe but I know it's more then simple. Ahhh now I see it, ash and walnut. I should read more often!

Love the shape of the Stem and really like the rustification on the top of the bowl. You pulled that off without deforming the edges.

Great Job, “I Would Smoke That”
Yes, Yes, Yes... I Would Smoke That!
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

PapaDuke wrote:
Great Job David
Not being any kind of expert on this.. I can offer this one bit of observation. It seems the rustification is tighter on the shank then the bowl? LOVE the bowl not crazy about the shank? Crazy yes, just not about the shank.
The technique I used is a little harder to do (and a little more dangerous) on the shank than the bowl. As a result it is a little tighter on the shank. One of the things I have to work out is how to pull both of them together. Or change the ways of doing it!

David
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very Nice pipe David! I like the shape a lot. The stem looks excellent.

Well, to each his own... I actually like the rustification on the shank better than that on the bowl. To me that looks a little more natural. I like rustification where I can't detect the individual tooling cuts. For me that means it needs to be pretty thouroughly overlaped. I like the way the right side of the bowl looks (in the bottom pitcutre) more than the left side. My guess is I would really like this rustification if the cuts just overlaped more.

The inserts are pretty, but are they perhaps just a bit distracting? I notice this in my pipes too, which almost all have inserts. Looking more cloesly I think my eye wants to see Cumberland where the Ebonite is, in order to tie the stummel side in with the rest of your stem. The walnut section on the stem end is a bit thicker than the one on the stummel end. I think that may also constribute to my distraction, or maybe I'm just easily distracted? :dunno:

In the picture from the top it does look like there is a slight buldge at the saddle on the left side (bottom side in this picture). Is that what you checked with the straight edge? I have a heck of a time with that area for some reason. Sometimes it seems like it's there, but the photos also emphisis more than I detect in the original. Most often I see it in the picture first, and then when looking at the pipe find that it really is there. :cry: Somtimes I'm convinced it's just the angle of the shot...

Having said all that, I really love the pipe David, very nice work, and I think your rustification technique shows definite promise.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

My phone number is available dozens of places on the 'net, including multiple times on this forum. Its even in a book that gets dropped at EVERY HOUSE in my town... FREE! <gasp>

OK, sarcasm off. :D

I am not one to worry about such things. I refuse to be held hostage by "what if's" and the potential of "bad people doing bad things." Heck, I even let my kids ride their bike around the block unaccompanied by an adult! In my neighborhood -- which is a nice middle-class neigborhood -- that is paramount to neglect, and I'm sure it is all one neighbor can do to not call CPS.

All of you guys are free to call. If it rings in collect, I'll take the call, get your phone number from you, and call you back. :thumb:

Tyler
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

"The New Phone Books are here"
"The New Phone Books are here"

Sorry your post reminded me of the movie
:D
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Thanks Tyler!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sure! Great talking to you.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

sethile wrote:
The inserts are pretty, but are they perhaps just a bit distracting? I notice this in my pipes too, which almost all have inserts. Looking more cloesly I think my eye wants to see Cumberland where the Ebonite is, in order to tie the stummel side in with the rest of your stem. The walnut section on the stem end is a bit thicker than the one on the stummel end. I think that may also constribute to my distraction, or maybe I'm just easily distracted? :dunno:

In the picture from the top it does look like there is a slight buldge at the saddle on the left side (bottom side in this picture). Is that what you checked with the straight edge?

Having said all that, I really love the pipe David, very nice work, and I think your rustification technique shows definite promise.
Scott,

You should have seen the first stem I made for this one, talk about a major distraction! It had 5 bands PLUS the ebonite one on the end. Too much! So I changed it out with this one. I think the trim rings are a little less distracting "in person" as opposed to the photo, but you're right, they do kind of stop your eye from flowing down the pipe. But I like doing them distracting or not!! :D

Could be lighting, could be camera angle, or just my eye but to me the saddle seems to flare from the shank junction to the curve. Thats what I checked with the straight edge. It doesn't, but still looks like a small area of concern. Talking to Tyler, I think I figured it out though. (no comments, not going to post my own screw-ups!!!) :oops:

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them!

David