PITH

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
josh_ford

PITH

Post by josh_ford »

Hey Everybody I know this is really late but better late then never. This is my PITH pipe, pipe #3 for me personally.

Here are some stats:
Acrylic stem with Delrin tennon
Height: 2 1/2"
Length: 5 1/2:
Chamber: 3/4" x 1/2"
Shank extension: something, walnut, something (same as before). I'm not sure what the lighter wood is, it came with this hardwood pack with the walnut.

Please be brutal, I'll enjoy it. I'm a college student I'm used to being torn to pieces. Politeness doesn't help me. Give me any changes I can make to be a better pipe maker. Won't hold it against any of you, promise. :lol:

Josh

josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Sorry Those were really small, here is something a little bigger.

Josh

ImageImage
Image[/img]
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow Josh, that's a very nice pipe, and wonderfully original! I'm amazed it's only your third! I really like the shape, and I think it works very well with the grain in the block and the partial rustification.

I think your mystery insert wood may be maple. The fit between it and the walnut, and also the stem look good. The fit to the shank could be better, but I know it can be tough with multiple inserts like that. Wonderful job my friend! Keep up the excellent work!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I do like the idea of adding some distinct secondary shape or line element by partially rusticating that way. It gives an overtone that swings clearly beyond hiding flaws in the briar.

I do second the critique about the multi-inlay. Even if it had turned out perfect (I am not really good at simple transitions at that part…). Maybe just one ring might have been enough.

Otherwise: Respect for a new idea. It might be already out there. Probably it is only me that didn't see it yet though… :roll:
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Very Original & Unique!
With a million of us pipe makers this my very well set you apart from many.

Very Unique in deed
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Thanks for all of the insight! I saw that the gap between the inlays and the shank is not good. There is also a slight problem, luckily the photos hid it, in the shank to big junction. I had the bit off while shaping for just a little bit, I forget why, and my dremel sander went slip and rounded out the edge, so on the bottom left there is a bit of a gap one can almost see it in picture #3.

I like the 3 layer inlays but I don't know if I will od it agian. I was trying to keep the contrast of the two types of stain, two types of finishes, to types of inlay theme going. and I didn't want the two woods side by side. The bit is also very messy. I tried to cut the slit for the first time and though I have a cutting tool for the slit, which looked very nice at first, the predrilled hole was a little bigger. Using needle files and my 1/16 drill bit I tried to shape it out but it made it look sloppy. I really want to start cutting my own stems from now on, I think.

When it actually comes to the bit thickness, should it be thinner? I was scared to make a pipe that I was happy with and then ruin the stem (I only had the one stem on hand). Any suggestions that way would be nice. Any other flaws that could be improved (even personal preferences, I'd love to hear them) would be great to know.

Josh Ford
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

OK, I'll take a stab at this, then. I can't speak to details since the pics aren't clear and magnified enough, but I will say that A) I really like the style, and think it's wonderfully original, and B) the whole piece doesn't gel as a piece because it's schizophrenic. To my eye, it looks like you have two totally different pipes stuck together - a creative, organic bowl crying out for a curved stem, and a straight shank & stem looking for a conventional bowl. If even a hint of the same sort of curving lines evident in the bowl had been carried into the shank/stem also, it would be fantastic. Also, I think the use of the multiple wooden inserts in the stem to be a bit much given the already-dramatic elements of the design (Remove the stem decor completely and I think you'd find the bowl styling would become much more eye-catching). But, that's just my opinion, FWIW - Now go and do whatever the hell you want to! ;)
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yes, Trever,

a comment or a quote of that spiral element! Good point!
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Hi Josh,

Here's my take. I really like the rustication. Combining different finishes in this case the smooth and the rustication is a very difficult thing to do well and I think it really adds to the pipe. As others have mentioned the shank treatment needs work, but that's difficult to do well and takes practice especially without a lathe. I'd suggest getting a lapping plate or a piece of flat glass to put your sandpaper on to get a perfectly flat surface. There's a lot of tricks you can do to get the wood to join well even without a lathe. I like the shank treatment, though I suppoose considering my own pipes that's not too much of a surprise :lol: . I would however have made it just a bit smaller and the shank a bit longer, to my eye it just looks a bit too clunky for the overall size of the bowl. The shank and stem don't seem to flow quite as well as they could. One of the benefits of being an individual pipe maker as opposed to one who works in a pipe factory is that it's not simply a matter of sticking a premade stem onto our pipes - even if we are using premade stems. We have the ability to blend the bowl, shank and stem into an overall whole. For your third pipe though I'd say that it is an excellent effort. Drop by my table in Chicago or look me up afterward at the Pheasant Chase and I'd be happy to discuss stem and shankwork with you. I did it without a lathe for a good number of years and made most, if not all of the mistakes before I got it right.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Thanks Steven,

If it wasn't for those e-mails you sent me back in November I wouldn't be making pipes at all, thanks for all you help.

I meant for the shank to be a bit longer but my block was very small, the smallest one I could have ordered from whoever I ordered it from, and after all the mistakes I made my shank got shorter and shorter. You're looking at Mk. III or so here. The shank gave me a lot of trouble in various ways and, although I really want to learn how to work out the kinks, It looks a lot better now than it did.

Trever and Alexander, my extensions were 3 equal stripes at first and I thinned out the walnut, it looked too much like a flag (mexico, italy, france, take your pick). I appreciate your advice but I like the 3 stripes. I do see that a possible bend in the stem would help it flow more, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Josh