Pipe Weight

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bvartist

Pipe Weight

Post by bvartist »

Just wondering, does anybody watch their weight!?!? 8O

OK, not body weight! 8) But I was wondering if you guys target a specific weight while carving a pipe? Is the weight of a pipe a concern or issue while carving? I've seen some posts on other forums about the weight of pipes and was just curious what everybody thinks!

David
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey David,

I do not watch the weight on my pipes. I think this is more of an issue for the smoker depending on whether or not they are a clencher...or just a personal preference. Some pipe smokers prefer small, lightweight pipes. Others prefer big honkin' pipes.

That's my input...for what it's worth.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Not being at a level just yet where that would really matter, at least to the point of trying to fix something that is, still I go for design and ballance.

I know... No Help!
Just felt like posting even if I am just a Tamper Maker these days!!
:lol:
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I don't target a weight, but I've noticed that even large pipes that I've ben making recently have weighed in around 42grams. Just something I keep an eye on out of curiousity.

Though it can be a tool. If you don't think you've finished shaping a pipe but don't know where to go, sometimes putting it on a scale will help. You will find out if it's really heavy for it's size or not. Might give you a little direction.

Joel
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I do not take that into account while making the pipe but I do like it when a pipe ends up around 40gr or so. So far the lightest non-bamboo pipe I have made is a little prince shaped smooth that is only 28 grams!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I find that most of the pipes I make are between 2 and 2.5 oz.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

JSPipes wrote:Though it can be a tool. If you don't think you've finished shaping a pipe but don't know where to go, sometimes putting it on a scale will help. You will find out if it's really heavy for it's size or not. Might give you a little direction.

Joel
Joel, OK, where's the camera in my shop! How'd you know what I was doing when I asked this question????? I was weighing the pipe to see if I had enough to take off more wood! Actually have done this on a couple recently. One I didn't change and the one I'm working on that I will change! Works well.
ArtGuy wrote:I do not take that into account while making the pipe but I do like it when a pipe ends up around 40gr or so.
John, your pipes always amaze me! Some you make seem to give the illusion of "beefy" pipes. Yet very light weight. How do you do it?
LexKY_Pipe wrote:I find that most of the pipes I make are between 2 and 2.5 oz.
AHHH! I can relate to that! :thumb: Sort of the reason I've been weighing some of the larger shapes I've made recently. I'd like to keep them under 2 oz if at all possible. Haven't mastered that science yet!

Thanks all for the input!!!

David
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Just a lucky guess!

Joel
marks

Post by marks »

From looking at some of the pricier artists listed at smoking pipes dot com, it appears that many of them make the pipe first, then worry (or don't worry) about the weight. I easily found several pipes pipes priced (or originally priced) in the four figures that were in excess of 2 ounces, and more than one in excess of three ounces.

For what it is worth, I, like most here, strive for balance and harmony in the pipes I make, then I typically weigh them when they are completed.

And, of course, there is an exception to that rule. I had one pipe that felt very heavy in my hand, and decided to weigh it prior to finishing. Glad I did as it was way too heavy (and I had not even started on a stem). I reworked that pipe and I ended up with a better looking pipe than my original design. Weighing that pipe forced me to look beyond what was to what could be, which upon reflection, is where I probably should have ended up on that pipe in the first place.

I think it was either Todd Johnson or Tyler who said on this board once to make the shape of the pipe as tight as possible, the weight will take care of itself (or something to that effect). That is one of the bits of advice that has stuck with me, and I keep that in mind when shaping a pipe. Sometimes it works better for me than other times, but I always have it in the back of my mind.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

marks wrote: For what it is worth, I, like most here, strive for balance and harmony in the pipes I make, then I typically weigh them when they are completed.
Me too! Well, except for being relatively new to this, I usually strive to get the shape halfway decent! What got me started thinking about weight was a customer wanting a "big" pipe (tobacco chamber 1" diameter and minimum of 1 3/4" deep) similar to some Ardors he likes. And that got me wondering about the weight of larger pipes. Most Ardors I looked at were in the 2.5 to 3 ounce range. I never thought much about weight while carving before that. Darn him for making me think!!! :?
And, of course, there is an exception to that rule. I had one pipe that felt very heavy in my hand, and decided to weigh it prior to finishing. Glad I did as it was way too heavy (and I had not even started on a stem). I reworked that pipe and I ended up with a better looking pipe than my original design. Weighing that pipe forced me to look beyond what was to what could be, which upon reflection, is where I probably should have ended up on that pipe in the first place.
Exactly what I'm doing on the one I'm working now. It just wasn't "right" and couldn't tell what was bothering me. After a quick weigh in I was fairly convinced it had to be thinner and lighter. Good piece of advice from both marks and Joel. Something we can use as a tool during the process! Thanks!

David
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

ArtGuy wrote: So far the lightest non-bamboo pipe I have made is a little prince shaped smooth that is only 28 grams!
Darn! I thought I was doing well! I've made two that were 32 grams! A bit small for my tastes though.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

bvartist wrote:
JSPipes wrote:
ArtGuy wrote:I do not take that into account while making the pipe but I do like it when a pipe ends up around 40gr or so.
John, your pipes always amaze me! Some you make seem to give the illusion of "beefy" pipes. Yet very light weight. How do you do it?
It is all a matter of proportion and engineering. I have found that there is a lot of excess wood that can be trimmed without giving up wall thickness and such. That 28 gr pipe I was talking about probably still has close to 3/8" thick walls along the bottom 1/3 of the bowl and under the chamber.

The advise Todd gave a couple years back of looking at a greyhound or racehorse for an idea of how a pipe should look is very sound.
Here is a pic of it: 28 grams soaking wet

My average pipe is somewhere around 1.75" tall, 5.5" long with a 1 to 1.5" deep chamber. To me that is about the ideal size I like to smoke so that is what I generally make.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

ArtGuy wrote: It is all a matter of proportion and engineering. I have found that there is a lot of excess wood that can be trimmed without giving up wall thickness and such. That 28 gr pipe I was talking about probably still has close to 3/8" thick walls along the bottom 1/3 of the bowl and under the chamber.

The advise Todd gave a couple years back of looking at a greyhound or racehorse for an idea of how a pipe should look is very sound.
Very Nice! And "Looks" like it should be heavier than that. Guess I need to head to the workshop and do more sanding! Thanks for the inspiration. The two I've made that are 32 grams "look" small.

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

MarkS beat me to the punch, but I'll reiterate. I don't know if it was me who said it to him, but I totally agree with what either Todd or me told him! 8) I believe a critical approach to making a great pipe is to remove all the unneccessary wood. ALL of it. If there is one thing about a pipe that says newbie, it is clunky. Keep shaping. Keep refining. Become more eloquent. Say more with fewer words, er, ounces.

Of course, the overall size of the pipe prevents one from making weight generalizations (like all pipes should be 2 ozs. or less), but I would venture to say that very high end pipes will be (surprisingly) lighter than one might expect. Not because, as many speculate, the wood is superior (though it may be of superior wood), rather it is because the pipe has been shaped to its essence. Cut to the bone is how I think Todd says it. Each pipe should be as light weight as that pipe can be. For some pipes that might be 4 ozs., for others it might be 0.75 ozs.. Generally speaking though, I'd say most pipes should be lighter than they are, which is to say that most pipes are not great.

That said, I do not approach a pipe with weight as the driving factor in design. The shape, balance, style, etc, is the driving factor and the pipe ought to weigh as little as possible when I reach those shape (and etc.) goals.

Good question.

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bvartist wrote:
ArtGuy wrote: It is all a matter of proportion and engineering. I have found that there is a lot of excess wood that can be trimmed without giving up wall thickness and such. That 28 gr pipe I was talking about probably still has close to 3/8" thick walls along the bottom 1/3 of the bowl and under the chamber.

Very Nice! And "Looks" like it should be heavier than that. Guess I need to head to the workshop and do more sanding! Thanks for the inspiration. The two I've made that are 32 grams "look" small.

David
Don't let Crosby's photography fool you...he makes micro pipes. If there was an ant in that photo, the pipe could be hidden behind it! Which is to say, he charges too much for his pipes because they are too small to be expensive! :angel:

Tyler
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tyler wrote: That said, I do not approach a pipe with weight as the driving factor in design. The shape, balance, style, etc, is the driving factor and the pipe ought to weigh as little as possible when I reach those shape (and etc.) goals.

In other words, IF I can achieve the shape, symmetry, balance, and style I am looking for, the weight should take care of itself, right? And if the pipe is heavier than I think it ought to be, more than likely one or more of the above is probably not "right"

OK, next "newbie" question! What is "balance"? I have my own thoughts on how a pipe is or isn't "balanced" but from a newbie perspective, we're not talking about balance, like finding a center point on a seesaw, right? I think of balance more in terms of "harmony" or simply every part of the pipe works with the others. Correct? Or am I way off on that?

Who would think that so many details go into making something as simple as a pipe to hold a little tobacco? Ohhh, my head aches! I'm not used to thinking this much! :lol:

BTW Tyler, hows the fly rod?

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

By balance, I did mean a harmony of proportion, and not some sort of ideal location of the center of gravity.

Maybe this isn't so hard. I think sometimes, in an effort to express what we are trying to achieve with our pipemaking, explainations get in the way and make things seem harder than they really are. Just make a pipe. Look at other pipes. Compare your work with pipes that you recognize are good or even great. Find the differences. Make your next pipe better. Rinse. Repeat. Discussion is fun and good, and with it comes the occassional epiphany, but not without trial and error and looking at and handling other pipes.

Once one has the rudimentary skills of drilling, stem fitting, and general shaping figured out, I think there are two key ways to get better:

1. Go to Chicago and see great pipes.
2. Get your work in the hands of makers you respect (and collectors, but makers are best IMO because they can also tell you how to fix the issues they point out) and ask for HONEST feedback. (Best done in Chicago as it turns out. Maybe there is actually one step...go to Chicago!)

Then go home and make more pipes.

As for the weight thing determining whether or not you are done, I suppose that is a way to do it, but it is not how I have ever thought about it. It was more and issue of is this pipe as "eloquent" as it can be? Is it the most with the least? Is there any waste on the pipe? That leads me back to Chicago. I'm not sure one can know the answers to these questions without seeing it in lots of other pipes.

Another way of saying this is that if you have $500 to spend on pipemaking tools, and you are serious about making truly good pipes, serously consider spending that money on a ticket to Chicago.

Tyler

P.S. I don't know if you have been to the Chicago show or not David, so this is not directed at you personally. My apologies if you have been to Chicago and I should know it because we met and I am not making the connection!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

bvartist wrote: BTW Tyler, hows the fly rod?
Great! I caught about half a dozen bass on it this weekend. It was its maiden voyage. I also caught my first fish (a bluegill) with a fly I tied!

Great fun!

:thumb:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I also caught my first fish (a bluegill) with a fly I tied!
Ain't that the best?!? :D

Rad
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tyler wrote: Discussion is fun and good, and with it comes the occassional epiphany, but not without trial and error and looking at and handling other pipes.
Yeah, handling other pipes is the experience I lack! Living in an area that isn't a hot bed of pipe smoking, I don't get the opportunity to see many "good" pipes. A handmade or high end around here is someone doing a "whittled" shank for a missouri meer! :lol:

My plan is to make it to Chicago next year, as well as Kansas City in October. Might not be as big of a show, but it will be a start!